Megaflo and Boiler queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I have just moved to a new house which has a Worcester 24Sbi bolier and hot water tank. The problem is that the house is too cold and when having a 5 minute shower the hot water runs out.
I am also to install an ensuite bathroom and a number of new radiatiors in the house which will put more demands on the system (in winter the house is not hot enough). There are currently 11 double 600 x 500 radiators through 4 floors. I want to increase the number of radiators by 6/7 600x 500 doubles.
My questions is this; I am thinking of getting a megaflo (or similar system) installed to remedy the hot water issue. If so, can this run off my existing boiler? Also, would I be able to remove the tank in my loft if I go for the megaflo. Will the Megaflo give me similar water pressure as generated by the water pump for the shower?
Furthermore, do you think the boiler will be able to handle the extra radiators and demand of the Megaflo or should I replace that too? Can you recommend a good make of boiler and Megaflo type system - and any idea of an average price to budget for this?
Lastly, what is the best plcae to locate the megaflo? Does it need to be on an external wall or on a particular floor?
I will of course get the water pressure checked first to see if it can work with the Megaflo.

Thanks Kindly,

Dooza

Sponsored Links
When you say the hot water runs out does it go cold or does the hot water itself run out...if it's the latter then a larger tank in the loft or even a new ball valve may solve the problem. You are probably running at the limit of the boiler however with 17 rads although things may improve if you fit all the rads with trvs so that you are not putting a demand on rads in rooms you are not using.

Hi there,

The hot water runs out - sometimes it will take 5 minutes and at others it will take 10-15minutes to run out. Even if no one has used the shower before me.
The tank in the loft is pretty huge at the moment!

"""Hot water runs out"""

Now I still dont know if he means it stops running and nothing comes out of the tap in which case its the loft tanks.

Or perhaps he really meant to say that the water starts to run cold.

If the latter then I expect that there is a system fault or boiler problem. A 24 kW boiler should provide adequate hot water and heating in a house with six bedrooms or more.

You can only use a Magaflow if you have adequate mains water flow rate.

I suggest you get a competent heating engineer to examine your system and correct the apparent fault(s) and advise on the possibility of a Mageflow.

I expect that if the system was operating properly then it would be quite adequate for your needs.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
""" A 24 kW boiler should provide adequate hot water and heating in a house with six bedrooms or more.

I think you mean six bedrooms or less, I very much doubt a 24kw boiler would provide adequate hot water for a house with 450 bedrooms! ;)

toasty said:
Agile said:
""" A 24 kW boiler should provide adequate hot water and heating in a house with six bedrooms or more.

I think you mean six bedrooms or less, I very much doubt a 24kw boiler would provide adequate hot water for a house with 450 bedrooms! ;)

Or indeed 4 enormous bedrooms :!:

It is true however that the 24sbi is a 24kw output boiler and a 600 x 500 k2 radiator has an output of around 900w so in theory should run them without problem.

What I really meant was 24 kW would normally be adequate in any existing six bedroom house and could supply a larger house if the heat loss was lower for example if it had cavity wall insulation and was otherwise well insulated for economy.

This matter of boiler power for heating is often not understood in perspective. A typical three bed semi with loft insulation and double glazed windown usually only needs about 10-12 kW of heating power.

In any case its the radiator output which determines what heat can be provided and if they are only 17 kW then a 24 kW boiler will be adequate.

I should have realised that if I left any "i" undotted then some one else would! Its good to explain it clearly for the trainees though.

Tony

When did you last regenerate the air bubble in the Megaflo?

Thanks for your replies.
In terms of the hot water - it runs out and goes cold. Also, as the boiler is only 2 years old, is it possible to keep this boiler and use a megaflow with it?
If this is the case, can I get rid of the tank in the loft?

Would the pressure generated by the megaflo be similar to the existing pump and hot water tank combo when using the shower?

Thanks

If the water runs cold after less that the cylinder's capacity has been used then I expect that there is a system fault or boiler problem. A 24 kW boiler should provide adequate hot water and heating in a house with six bedrooms or more.

You can only use a Magaflow if you have adequate mains water flow rate.

I suggest you get a competent heating engineer to examine your system and correct the apparent fault(s) and advise on the possibility of a Mageflow.

I expect that if the system was operating properly then it would be quite adequate for your needs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back