Oil Central heating with megaflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just looking for some help and advice. We have a complicated (to me!!) CH and HW system.

The system is a potterton oil fired boiler (downstairs) with a megaflo cl210 upstairs.

There are 2 kingshield timer controllers in the downstairs boiler room. One has heating and hot water and one upstairs heating and towel rails.

In the room with the megaflo there is a grassun analogue timer (push clip thingy!)

There are 2 Honeywell room controllers, one downstairs and one upstairs.

The megaflo appears to have one element!

The megaflo appears to have no light on it to say if it's on or off. There is a wall switch in the room with the megaflo which I presume is the on off switch. It would appear that the pipes out from the megaflo are just for HW.

So the question is how do I get the megaflo to kick in on its own?!? We occasionally run out of oil and we can do without heat for a few days but not HW.

I presume the HW goes from the boiler to the megaflo and if it's on the megaflo keeps the water hot. If the megaflo is off the HW still passes through but it isn't kept hot.

We currently have no oil so the potterton is off but still no HW. I have just done the drain thing to reset the air pocket. All switches are on but there is no led on the megaflo to say if it's on...

The resets / trips don't appear to have tripped.. What should the 2 turntable dials be set too on the thermostat on the megaflo?

I have set the analogue timer (nor the megaflo) set to on, and also on timed but pushed all the bits in so I know ifs on. The clock in the centre seems to be working...

Do I need to turn the timers off to the potterton for the megaflo to start heating?

How long should it take to heat up if it's on?

Would like to be able to use this in the summer too instead of oil but it may be cheaper to run the oil system now due to cost...

I think that's all the info / questions but if anyone can help me get HW for a shower tomorrow it would be appreciated!! If I have misused anything please let me know!!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I think you're getting a bit confused with your systems, nevertheless the switch on the wall near your Megaflo should turn the immersion heater on, which will heat the Megaflo electrically. This will probably take a couple of hours. The dial on the immersion should be set to 4, don't turn it all the way up as they have a nasty habit of popping the overheat stats. Check your electrical consumer unit and make sure the cylinder trip hasn't tripped

The timers downstairs control the boiler and aren't linked to your immersion.

It'll be much cheaper to heat the cylinder with oil, the immersion is only there as a backup in the event of boiler breakdown

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back