Megaflo Immersion Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Megaflo CL250 and a Baxi Barcelona. House built in year 2000.

I'm thinking of switching on the electric immersion heaters in the Megaflo to take the strain off the boiler a bit.

Are the immersion heater elements controlled via the timed HW/CH programmer, or is their operation determined solely by the thermostat temperature setting on the Megaflo? I don't want to use the immersion heaters if they are going to heat the water when I'm not there.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The immersion heater has nothing to do with the DHW/CH programmer. You can get a timeswitch which you can use, but the losses from megaflos are so low that you could put the top immersion on (if you have two) and it wouldn't use much unless people used water.

Has the question arisen because the house goes cold when you run a bath? I used to get that (heating syst undersized). In my case the problem went away when I had the wall cavities insulated, so that the boiler became big enough for the house without changing the boiler!

I also found an improvement with fitting TRVs throughout as the boiler wasn't trying to heat rooms that were warm enough.

Thanks.

The Baxi copes well with my CH & HW demands (and I have a full compliment of 17 TRV'd rads) but I know that the Barcelona can be a bit fragile so I wanted to give it a helping hand on the HW side, so it can concentrate fully on the CH.

So, during the Winter I'm going to leave the top immersion switched on permanently and only switch on the bottom one during very cold spells and on bath night. I'll keep an eye on the electricity bill.

Sponsored Links
no no no! :LOL: Gas is ££££ cheaper than electricity. It is crazy to use an immersion to heat water when you have a gas boiler. I know many people off the gas network who would bite your arm off to get natural gas ch/dhw.

htgeng said:
... you have a gas boiler...
...Which is rather fragile. Don't want to tip her over the edge.

I'm told the Megaflo tank is well insulated, so I wouldn't be pouring money down the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back