Which Tumble Dryer?

AFAIK the only domestic Gas tumble-drier is the White Knight.

very cheap to run but has to be installed by a qualified gas fitter

In Which tests the White Knight ECO 43A  (£280, timer) and 83A (£310, sensor) were both Best Buys

Report on the 83A says:
"White Knight may not have any Best Buy electric tumble dryers but their two gas powered machines dried very quickly and evenly in our tests and are worthy Best Buys.

The Eco 83A uses a sensor to monitor how dry the load is, it has a 7kg capacity and takes 127 minutes to dry a full load of cottons. Because it uses gas to provide the heat for the drum, running costs will be significantly cheaper with a gas dryer compared to an electric model. This is certainly something to consider if you regularly use a dryer.

Drying performance was equally impressive on both cottons and synthetics. Along with standard cupboard dry, iron dry and extra dry programs for synthetics and cottons, there’s a cold airing program to cool your clothes down after drying which makes them easier to handle. There’s also an anti-crease cycle which gently tumbles clothes without heat after drying. In common with the Eco 43a, you can position the door hinge on either side.

Pros – Drying performance, ease of use and lower running costs than electric models.

Cons – Gas powered dryers will need to be professionally installed and serviced by Corgi engineers."

Sponsored Links
Buy a Miele Dryer will alst you five times as long, will lose litttle value with time and will save you a fortune in running costs, because it's probably the only machine on the market that actually calculates how dry the clothes are then turns off when they are dry so you can't overdry anything. and if you're like me and wash&dry everything as you need it for saturday night, if you use the hand iron setting on the dryer take the clothes out and iron them when it's finished, even the cheapest irons will give superb finish

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Do you have a model number in mind of one of the Miele Dryers?

Regards

Look at something basic you can pick up a T284 or similar for around £500-00 this seems a lot of money but you are looking at a machine that will last you and save you for years, my wife is the worst person in the world for putting something on for 2 hours whether it needed it or not the miele sorts that right out the clothes are dry it finishes. I am maybe a bit biased because i'm trade, but believe me i can buy a Electrolux/Zanussi, Hotpoint/creda, or cheap and nasty white night as cheap as anyone at trade but my white goods with the exception of my fridge are all miele because they're built to last and remain serviceable for their lifetime which is an awful lot longer that many other appliances on the market. The Miele Fridge range is made by Liebher and you can buy them a lot cheaper from a liebher dealer. ( for ref i have a Maytag american style fridge at home simple because they are repairable and have a good life span)

Sponsored Links
but hey a should have added, if the bosch is working use it till it dies, don't replace it for the sake of replacing it you'll be an awful long time saving the money that it cost you replace. But when you're gonna buy a new one buy the Miele it's in a league of it's own

it's probably the only machine on the market that actually calculates how dry the clothes are then turns off when they are dry
No, there are heaps of sensor driers on the market. Very simple technology.

john you name one sensor dryer that actually takes a resistance reading accross the fabrics that are being dried, the is an enormous difference between sensor dry and residual moisture control, sensor dry usually means the appliance gets up to temp drys for a set period, then turns off. Residual Moisture control involves switching the machine of at specific levels of moiture in the fabric. So there are no other domestic dryers that i know of in the market place today if you can inform me different the i would be interested in knowing about them.

I have a Whirlpool vented drier. It is obsolete now. Has dryness setting buttons of cupboard extra dry, cupboard dry, ironing damp, ironing wet (linens).

I understand it works by comparing the inlet air temp and the outlet air temp. The more moisture there is remaining in the clothes, the bigger the temp drop in the air.

It turns the heat off when it achieves the preset dryness, then tumbles without heat for a while, then goes off (unless set to intermittent cold tumble on the anti-crease button). It does not have a timer.

AFAIK there is nothing unusual about it.

yes john but that system is flawed once you ducting blocked then you end up with the moisture levels and temp in the flue so doesn't really work that well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back