Tumble dryer efficiency.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a conundrum here.

Im just kitting out our new utlility room for tumble dryer and washing machine.

We currerntly have a 2 yeard old Samsung heatpump tumble dryer which has the big drawer we need to empty of water. Now we were going to add a vent in the studwall for a vented dryer instead. BUT im reading that Heatpump tumble dryers are more efficient. Alot more or? Im just thinking maybe i keep it if its going to save me alot on leccy? Anyone able to quantify saving or comment here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They use less electricity, but take much longer.

If you already have a dryer, carry on using it until it breaks down. Buying a new machine will cost you money.

Do you have solar panels?

They use less electricity, but take much longer.

If you already have a dryer, carry on using it until it breaks down. Buying a new machine will cost you money.

Do you have solar panels?
Thanks John as above i already have a 2yr old Samsung Heat Pump dryer.

Mrs Speccy finds it hastle as it beeps regularly needing the condensor filter cleaning and water cartridge empying, and there's a question about how much vapour/humidity is being vented into the house.

However if its recycling warm air as opposed to sucking in cold and heating that(vented).. it's got to be much more efficient?

OK Fark!! We have an answer here, almost the same tumble dryer i have and look at that. Almost 4 times the power draw of a venter tumble dryer. Screenshot for those can't be bothered to watch whole thing and or youtube link below. Ok fck that im keeping my heatpump dryer!!

1676979758096.png

Sponsored Links
1898 divided by 657 is actually about three times.

Though I didn't see him compare before and after weights to see if the same amount was dried.

Relevance of solar panels is that you can sometimes run the drier fully or partly on free electricty. And the extra cost of the heat pump needs to be apportioned over its useful working life.

Surely it has an option to be connected to a permanent drain rather than filling a tray of water?

Right on que that's my next question. I would like to run the condensate drain to the external wall, which is about a 2.5metre run. Can i get away with 22mm as drainage? I see condensing boilers use this (21.5mm)

We have a dryer run entirely by hamsters! They run in a big wheel which makes the dryer work.

Right on que that's my next question. I would like to run the condensate drain to the external wall, which is about a 2.5metre run. Can i get away with 22mm as drainage? I see condensing boilers use this (21.5mm)

Should be fine. Mine is plumbed in. The water is pretty clear. Like a washing machine hose make sure you go up to the top of the appliance to start.

general comments more energy is saved from drying dryer clothes -----
--- yes i know daft comments except the greater amount off water you remove via spinning [a relatively cheap way] the less it costs via heat if you spin and it feels wet then give it another as high as possible speed spin
i would go as far as saying if it feels wet spinning will cost perhaps 30% off the cost of heat via tumble drying whereas just damp may use say half the cost on spin compared to tumble
other ideas heavy cotton things like mats and towels but not jeans will dry cheaper with initial air drying until just cold to the touch
now iff you have a life and saving perhaps 20-30p a wash and dry cycle is a cost not worth wasting 10 mins on just do the extra spin but just with the cotton and non-manmade material stuff

Pity you can't get the gas dryers any more!!

I have a gas tumble dryer, I think heat pumps have the slight edge on running costs now but mine was bought and paid for years ago, I like the way it dries compared to an electric (can't explain but the heat seams more "gentle").

general comments more energy is saved from drying dryer clothes -----

We wash towels on the 20 minute quickwash program and have started putting them through a separate spin afterwards - which seems to make sense - why don't washing machine manufacturers have a towel wash programme? They're usually not dirty and just need a quick freshen and a massive spin.

However if it’s recycling warm air as opposed to sucking in cold and heating that(vented).. it's got to be much more efficient?
If your utility room is within the houses envelope, then another thing to consider with vented dryers is that it takes your warm, conditioned air from inside the house and blows it out as well. Cold air from outside is drafted back into the house. That’s another cost to heating.

I have just got a heat pump drier to replace the vented, main reason was easy to put the small drain pipe of the heat pump in with the washer drain and can put the drier on top of the washing machine, and so I can now close the window in the utility room, and stop bolting the utility room door. I did not want to bore a large hole in the wall for vented as each one we have had seems to have the vent in a different place.

But the big difference with efficiency was the vented had no sensor to know when dry, and it had two heat levels, the reset for over heat was at the back so hard to reach, so we always used the lower heat level, so time wise it seems the new one is as fast as old. However new Haier HD80-A2939S seems to be ripping and toggles etc off the cloths, they seem to get caught in the lint trap, which did not happen with the old drier.

Also controls are more complex, a 15 option dial, and 6 buttons, compared with simple high/low heat, and a timer. So to compare is not really fair as it is not only the method of extracting moisture which has changed. I am sure the vented one often ran longer than required.

It seems we have different types of condenser driers, the one we have in the garden room is built into the washer, I uses cold water to condense, and heating element to heat air, main advantage is don't need to move cloths, the drier is built into the washer.

But we have stand alone condenser driers, and heat pump driers, and again it seems some still use elements to heat the air, and it seems hard to get information about condenser driers v heat pump driers, or even compare makes, when we bought ours we were shown a selection of units, some you needed to remove the whole condenser to clean, others just filters, we were careful to select one with option to connect a water drain, but noted it does not use the tank when using drain, so if the water was drained to outside, would it freeze? I note central heating boilers with condensate drains store up the water then release it in batches to avoid it freezing.

Theory the vented drier should work better in winter, as the air is colder so retains less moisture, but wife tells me this is not the case, even when the air is drawn from outside, if drawing air from inside, big question is will it cause enough depression to draw exhaust fumes into the house from any open vented fire? Same applies to bathroom extractors and cooker hoods, it depends if there is enough ventilation in the house. Clearly not a problem with a pipe out of an open window, but with hole bored in wall, needs to be considered.

The open window in a unheated room should not have been a problem, but only if the user always closes the utility room door. I have walked into our kitchen and realised the utility door left open, and kitchen very cold, even when drier not in use, as window was always left open, so even when used in a unheated room they can still cost money due to loss of central heated air.

As to time taken to dry cloths, does not seem to be much difference between heat pump and vented with the vented on low heat setting.

I thought a condenser drier other than those built into washing machines all used heat pumps, seems I was wrong, mine is it seems A++ Weighted Annual Energy Consumption (AEc in kWh/year) 265 kWh/annum [Based on 160 drying cycles of the standard cotton program at full and partial load, and the consumption of the low-power modes. Actual energy consumption per cycle will depend on how the appliance is used.] there are models down to 200 kWh/annum.

I did consider outdoor drying, however it means more rewashing due to soot and bird lime, so likely does not safe energy. Would need a car port or similar so could dry even when raining.

OK Fark!! We have an answer here, almost the same tumble dryer i have and look at that. Almost 4 times the power draw of a venter tumble dryer. Screenshot for those can't be bothered to watch whole thing and or youtube link below. Ok fck that im keeping my heatpump dryer!!

If you really want highest efficiency of drying, for minimum cost, then....

Drying on lines, in an enclosed space, with a fan and a dehumidifier running - is about as efficient as you can achieve.. The fan moves the air, to aid evaporation, the dehumidifier removes the moisture from the air and dumps it in the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back