Need new Tumble Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Hotpoint Tumble Dryer sounds like it's about to expire ( I think the main bearing is failing) so I need to get a new one.

Has anyone got any recommendations ? We use it a lot so need a decent capacity and efficiency. We have our current vented dryer located in the garage and even though I've fitted a small condenser on the vent, the garage still gets covered in fluff.

Would I be better off going for a condensing dryer rather than a vented dryer ? Do condensing dryers need a water supply ? . :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've been advised to always go for a vented dryer.

I think I might bite the bullet and drill a vent through the garage wall - I've been variously advised that a 105mm or 110mm core driller is required - Not sure which size is correct ! . :confused:

Depends on the model but alot of hotpoint/creda/indesit dryers are very easy to change the bearings on.

Personally I recommend tumble dryers over condenser dryers any day. You dont need a water supply for a condenser dryer.

Depends on the model but alot of hotpoint/creda/indesit dryers are very easy to change the bearings on.

Personally I recommend tumble dryers over condenser dryers any day. You dont need a water supply for a condenser dryer.

Thanks for your reply Leccy.

I had a look yesterday. Is there some kind of bearing underneath the drum that the drum turns on ? That's where the unhealthy noise is coming from. If there is can I get at it by taking the bottom off - I can't get at it from the back.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
It sounds OK now !

I might try to limp on until January and see if I can get one cheap in the January sales.

I can't figure out how I can get at the bearing on the bottom, and I'm scared that I'll break it completely and be left without a dryer...... :cry:

Why not consider a gas dryer, had mine for about 4-5 yrs now, never missed a beat, and i think it's a lot cheaper than electric, i paid around £250 for mine.

Post the model details.

Apologies for the delay in replying Zipper - I've been offline for a few days.

It's an old one : Hotpoint Aquarius Reversomatic De Luxe Dryer TL22

I think it's whatever it rolls around on at the bottom that's on the way out...

Now I remember, I tried to pull up constructional drawings for this particular model in August but couldn't track it down. Are there any production numbers on the door sticker??? I know Hotpoint still sell parts for the TL22, & that there were at least 3 different versions of this model (TL22A, TL22W, & TL22P). You can find a range of spares on Hotpoint's model search https://parts.hotpointservice.co.uk...rea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000021)/.do or try ebay/google. Drum noise usually means a worn/damaged jockey pulley, shaft bearing, back rollers, or front support bearings/pads. I'm afraid you would have to dismantle the machine to find out exactly which parts are faulty. The good news is that most spares are fairly cheap.

Now I remember, I tried to pull up constructional drawings for this particular model in August but couldn't track it down. Are there any production numbers on the door sticker??? I know Hotpoint still sell parts for the TL22, & that there were at least 3 different versions of this model (TL22A, TL22W, & TL22P). You can find a range of spares on Hotpoint's model search https://parts.hotpointservice.co.uk...rea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000021)/.do or try ebay/google. Drum noise usually means a worn/damaged jockey pulley, shaft bearing, back rollers, or front support bearings/pads. I'm afraid you would have to dismantle the machine to find out exactly which parts are faulty. The good news is that most spares are fairly cheap.

Thanks very much for your advice Zipper.

I had a go at dismantling from the back last weekend. I got to the point where it looked like I'd have to take the blower impellor off the shaft to get any further. I gave up at that stage as I was concerned that I'd end up not being able to re-assemble and be left with no way of drying clothes - At least the dryer still works OK at the moment. In fact for the last few days the noise it was making seems to have disappeared !

What I was hoping to achieve last weekend was to understand the construction of the machine and see what the arrangement under the drum was - that's the place where the noise occasionally comes from.

The drum seems to run fine around the stationary padded ring at the front of the machine, and the bearing at the back seems OK. Is there some kind of roller bearing at the bottom of the drum that it runs on that supports the drum vertically ? - Surely the drum can't be cantilevered from the bearing at the back ( and it doesn't appear to be supported vertically by the stationary padded ring at the front ) ? :confused:

Do you know if the only way "in" is from the back ? Is there any point in turning the machine upside down and trying to take the bottom off ? - I really can't see very much looking down from the top as the drum is in the way ! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back