Are tumble dryers worth is the cost to buy and run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been thinking about getting a vented tumble dryer recently, got a 3.5 year old and he gets through tonnes of clothes a week along with us 2 adults as well.

we constantly seem to wash and use radiators and airers esp in the winter

is it worth getting a tumble dryer?

are they mega expensive to run?

Is vented the better option?

cheers

Sponsored Links
drying clothes on radiators causes dampness mould and condensation

drying a load will use about 3 or four units off electricity so 25-80p dependant on tariff

Have had a washer-drier for 20 years. Wouldn't be without it.
Put it on cheaper overnight tariff. Get up in the morn and find clean dry sheets etc ready to store. Simples!

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind that some clothes, especially jersey can shrink if tumble dried

Are vented the best way to go
Weve had tumble dryers more or less since they were invented & wouldn't be without one even now the kids have long gone. If you have access to an external wall & are OK with making a neat hole through & lining it then a vented dryer will be cheaper to buy. Our current utility room has no external walls so we had no choice but to go for a condensing dryer last time around. It also works equally as well but was more expensive to buy & you have to remember to empty the condensate tank every time you use it if you want to avoid nasty smells from the water stagnating.

It’s a real eye opener when you see how much water accumulates in the condensate tank for the first time! As big-all posted, drying clothes on radiators & clothes horses indoors is a really bad idea & one of the biggest sources of condensation & mildew during winter months.

Some top end condensing dryers can be plumbed in requiring no emptying.

If you have space, go for seperates. Combinations aren't as good at doing each job, and if they break you've got a bigger replacement cost.

To save some floor space you can stack the washer and dryer on top of each other.

We've always had both but I know someone else who always says they are far too expensive to run, they dry all their clothes in the house,

At the moment they have to put extra heating on to get the clothes dry, they also point two 3kw electric heaters at the clothes to help get them dry and they have a dehumidifier running 24/7 because they're suffering with damp.

I've tried telling them over and over again but they're getting old and stuck in their ways.

Their house is less than half the size of ours and their gas bill is three times as much, their electric is over twice as much.

As you can see it annoys me :rolleyes: :mad:

Your best bet would be to go to Curry's or Comet and compare the size of drum(They vary quite a bit) depending how much you want to dry. I have had a whirlpool for about six years and still going strong even tho' used a lot.

Can anyone recommend a vented machine about the £250
mark
"Which" best buys within your price range:
(best first)
White Knight
ECO 43A
£279.00
71%

Bosch
WTV74104UK
£318.43
68%

Bosch
WTV74105GB
£292.95
67%

Zanussi-Electrolux
ZDE57140W
£233.00
66%

Hotpoint
TVF760G
£214.97
66%

Whirlpool
AWZ3303
£204.99
66%

Whirlpool
AWZ 8578
£280.00
64%

Zanussi-Electrolux
ZDC67550W
£299.00
62%

There are other best buys at higher prices, not necessarily better than these cheaper ones. The best buy table is dominated by Bosch and Miele, as often happens with domestic appliances. My tip would be a vented one (simpler, more reliable, better value) and I have always been happy with Bosch. Be sure to get one with sensor drying. Don't get the most complex one with the most options and programs, you will probably never use them and the complexity increases price and reduces reliability. John Lewis has good customer service, will price match, and offers good value extended warranties.

I am a householder not a pro.

p.s. A washing line is even cheaper to buy and run. If you put it under some kind of shelter like a carport it will even work in rainy weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back