tumble dryer recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a while ago about my washer dryer got some great advice have replaced machine now as the washing came out smelling of oil so fear of big bill and stoopid Hotpoint £119 call out is :eek:

So I've gone for a washing machine that is just a washing machine (John Lewis own brand - which is AEG rebranded according to my research).

So I'm now thinking about a tumble dryer as well but not in a hurry :LOL:

It will be placed in my garage doesn't have a window :LOL: so am I best to go for a condenser or vented tumble dryer?

Also any brands to avoid? any that are the bees knees? I'd love to have gone for a Miele washing machine as I love my Miele hoover but budget didn't allow for that!

I'm going to have to wait a few months till I can get my tumble dryer but due to go on maternity leave in 6 weeks so want to get it sorted before new bubs arrives :LOL:

Any advise greatly received!

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
WhiteKnight are reputable, my mother has a 6KG sensor dry and it is very reliable and does the job.

due to the fact your having a little one like my missus did last year, whatever size washing machine you got, like 6kg or 7...then buy the same capacity dryer or else you will forever be washing a load of clothes and then having to do 2 loads of drying.....more of a pain than anything else.

get a vented one. they are more efficient, reliable and cheaper than condensors (which anyway release varying amnounts of water vapour)

p.s. in the recent "Which" survey, best-buy tumble driers ranged in price from £182 to £939. Better and More Expensive were not the same thing. How much do you want to spend?

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD max really £200 it won't be used very often tbh, I hardly used my old one but that was because I needed the machine more iykwim!

Will a vented one be okay in the garage if I have no window to vent it? as the garage door is on the side (access from the kitchen (going out the house) or the front with the up and over door? :confused:

my mothers is vented and in the garage with no windows etc....

all she does is put the vent into a bowl, the water forms in the bowl and she empties it after each use. you dont have to worry about the fluff as the lint filter catches it all. the only thing to mention is that while the dryer is on, the garage becomes quite humid so if you store things in there that need to be kept dry, then a vented one is not really suitable.

you can hire a Core Drill from your local hire shop and it makes a neat round hole in a brick or block wall (quick and easy). the plastic vent kit fits the hole. You don't want steam in your garage (or home) causing condensation and making everything rusty and mouldy.

Which Best Buy vented below £200 are:

Whirlpool
AWZ3303 66% £182
"This entry-level model from mid-market brand Whirlpool is a brilliant dryer for those with a tight budget. It dries quickly and evenly, is quiet, easy to use and leaves the fewest creases. Thumbs up all round!

This vented tumble dryer from Whirlpool works on a timer and has a maximum capacity of 6kg. It takes 107 minutes to dry a full load of cottons fully.

Simple programmes and no sensor, end-of-programme buzzer or programme-stage lights mean that is it basic. But it had no weaknesses in our tests and left clothes less creased than our other Best Buys.

It does have a six minute cold airing cycle, and 13 minute anti-crease phase when the drier finishes too.

Pros: Dries evenly, the door is reversible, quiet, good energy efficiency, leaves fewer creases than most models

Cons: Pretty basic"

Hotpoint
TVF760G 66% £190
This Best Buy Hotpoint TVF760G vented model dries clothes quickly and evenly.

"The TVF760G is a vented dryer which means the warm damp air extracted is pumped out through a hose. If you're in the market for a vented dryer, make sure you have somewhere close to the dryer, a window or a door, where you can place the hose to let the air out. The only place to fit the hose on this Hotpoint is the back, worth noting if space is limited.

This Hotpoint is quick, drying a full 6kg load of cottons in 1 hour and 38 minutes or 16 minutes per kg. A cotton half load takes 56 minutes or about 18 and-a-half minutes per kg, a half-load of synthetics is 52 minutes or about 17 and-a-half minutes per kg.

It's an automatic machine, so it uses a sensor rather than a timer to set how long to dry a load. The sensor works well as the loads tested were pretty evenly dried.

You can manually set the machine to run using the timer only for up to two hours. This kind of feature is handy if you think your load needs a few extra minutes.

At the end of drying, you can set an anti-crease program to gently tumble your load without heat. You can set this to run for up to 10 hours. And there's an airing program for refreshing clothes by tumbling them without heat. A delay timer means you can set the Hotpoint to start 24 hours later and at the end of the drying program an alarm sounds. The status of the drying is shown on the control panel, an indicator shows when the lint filter should be changed and you can also see how much drying time is left.

The Hotpoint's 6kg capacity is a bit small compared with most new dryers, but you'll still be able to get a lot of laundry inside. It's C-rated for energy which means a full 6kg load will use about 3.57 kWh of electricity and cost about 45p or 7.5p per kg.

Pros Quick and even drying, easy to use

Cons Quite noisy"

BTW I use a Sensor drier and think it is better than a timer one, it turns off the heat once you have reached the preset level of dryness.

Wicked thanks JohnD thats helpful! Nothing really that needs to be kept dry kept in the garage! humid wouldn't be a bad think in the cold weather as it gets brass monkey temp in there! I'll check out those dryers from Which! Thank you very much for your help x

Keep away from Hoover vented dryers at the moment they have a fault if used in a garage and temp hit o degrees or less they don't work unless you place a hot bowl of water in the drum to warm them up .and no imnot joking .there was something about it on there website. :LOL:

Thanks Rocks after by bad experience with my Hoover washer dryer I'll be giving the brand a wide berth from now on! My old Hotpoint washer last 7 or 8 yrs! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back