Which wall to repaint? None, One Two?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a rectangle shaped livingroom (say 12ft by 14ft for augments sake, its roughly that)

Anyway about 15 months ago when we first planned out the layout of the room and colours on the walls, we decided that cause the TV was going to go on a stand in front of one of the 12ft walls, we would make that the feature wall and paint it a darker colour and use taupe for the rest of the room (a light creamy colour if you will)

Since December last year (when I got a TV wall bracket from my dad as a Christmas present) we have moved the TV, got two new sofas and bought a smaller dinning room table which now also goes in the livingroom.

This just means that now the TV is on one of the 14ft walls opposite our window (one of the walls painted taupe)

My husband says leave the room as it is, or I can paint it if I want, but I have to do it while he is at work.

We still have quite a bit of each colour left in pots in the cupboard. I'm unsure whether to paint the other 12ft wall in the darker colour, or re-paint the darker 12ft wall in taupe and be done with it, or third option is re-paint the darker wall taupe and make the 14ft wall the TV is now on (and will always be on) the darker coloured wall (as I was told that darker walls are best on walls with TVs on them (suppose there is a fourth option leave it as it is.)

I know its ultimately my choice but just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this . Would I be making the room seem smaller if I painted the other 12ft wall a darker colour. And is it worth making the 14ft wall with the telly on the darker feature wall, will it really make a difference to the room.

The only thing I can't do is paint the whole room the darker colour, A] My hubby would not be happy with that (just see the look on his face now lol) B] There are two units in the room I would rather not move so that's really out of the question.

As I sit on the main sofa watching telly, the wall on the left that is the darker colour just looks wrong on its own like that. I do love the colour more then the taupe actually, just not sure what might look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Fed up with the walls the way they are, and guests coming over in December, its time I got this sorted once and for all.

Thanks for reading this far, and any replies greatly received...

Sponsored Links
does taupe mean beige? or light browm? The moles I have seen are brownish.

mole_1024.jpg

but some look black
240px-European_mole_animal.jpg

or grey
120px-Talpa_europaea_hg.jpg

or this?

natural_taupe_1.jpg
natural_taupe_1.jpg
natural_taupe_1.jpg

natural_taupe_1.jpg
natural_taupe_1.jpg
natural_taupe_1.jpg

I prefer pale colours.

I love the instruction that you've can only do it while he's out!!

It is difficult to advise you without seeing the room and the light (natural and otherwise).

Can you post a couple of photos from different angles as it is now?

The Taupe (I'm no colour expert, really bad at explaining) its kinda beige sort of magnolia like if you will.

The darker wall is brown sugar, the two colours do seem to go well together

I love the instruction that you've can only do it while he's out!!

It is difficult to advise you without seeing the room and the light (natural and otherwise).

Can you post a couple of photos from different angles as it is now?

My hubby works 60-84hrs a week so me doing this on my own is kind of understandable. He is one of those people that once you have done it once that's it leave it (unless you really really mucked up big time). It's not bothering him so he sees no reason to do anything about it, but if I'm not happy and am willing to put in the effort, then I can change it and he won't moan (to much lol)

I'll try to get the pictures done, tomorrow for you (timer permitting)

Anyway thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
i would say to paint over the darker wall with the taupe and maybe paint in a couple of features on the walls with the darker colour. I have done similar in my livingroom. One wall has 2 thick stripes, another has a horizontal box with a border around and another has 2 vertical borders. That way you have a bit of colour and can define each wall as you like with pictures, mirrors, wooden masks etc whenever you fancy a change.

I have used what sounds like a similar colour to your taupe, then used chocolate brown and burnt red.

Hope this helps a bit.

I will try and find photos of some of it so show you and add them to my album on here

serendipity6954 thanks for the reply, it sounds like a nice idea, but I'm about 99% sure its not something my husband would be too keen on..

Anyway here are some pics I took about 5-6months ago, please excuse some of the mess in the photos, the room is a lot tidier then this now (thank goodness). Brown wall is a touch darker then the pic show

These two are both of the corners, too the left of the window showing part of the darker wall
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

This is the wall on the right of the room, the wall that is opposite the darker wall.
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

This is the wall opposite the window, the one with the TV on.
DSC_0012.jpg

And this is the main reason I don't want to have too re-paint the whole room. Moving the units can be done, but would be a bit of a pain..
DSC_0007.jpg

My husband and I have both noticed that the autographs hanging on the darker wall, do seem to look better, or should I say the colour seems to go better with the darker frames we chose, if that changes things at all?

It's still a little difficult to get the exact layout of the room from your images but it appears that most of the lighter walls are hidden by furniture etc., Personally, I would paint the wall with the tv and fireplace as the darker, feature wall, leaving the rest lighter. It would be a more contrasting colour to the fireplace, making it stand out a bit better and the tv wouldn't be the dominating factor (if that's what you want).
As has been said, natural and artificial light sources can play a major factor in the decision and are difficult to assess without actually being in the room.
Hope this opinion helps, but the decision is ultimately yours.

BTW, there wouldn't happen to be any sci-fi fans in your house, would there? ;)

It's still a little difficult to get the exact layout of the room from your images but it appears that most of the lighter walls are hidden by furniture etc., Personally, I would paint the wall with the tv and fireplace as the darker, feature wall, leaving the rest lighter. It would be a more contrasting colour to the fireplace, making it stand out a bit better and the tv wouldn't be the dominating factor (if that's what you want).
As has been said, natural and artificial light sources can play a major factor in the decision and are difficult to assess without actually being in the room.
Hope this opinion helps, but the decision is ultimately yours.

BTW, there wouldn't happen to be any sci-fi fans in your house, would there? ;)

Thanks for the reply. Yep I know the final choice is mine just wanted a little advice.

And yes I am a Trekkie/Trekker and I married one too :)

This is my opinion, not sure about the industry wide practice.

1) The wall exactly opposite to the room entrance should be the feature/dark wall.
2) If this wall is not a full rectangle, then select the one which is a complete wall and make it a dark feature wall.
3) In case you can't find any complete wall then it's better to make all walls of same light color and make the one opposite to entrance, the feature wall. This will make things look less messier and less forced-upon.

Check the attached illustration.

View media item 39126
Also, if you have less stuff to showcase then it's nice to have a darker wall (just one). Otherwise, with so much stuff to display, you don't have to color it dark to make it a feature wall - it's already a feature wall. The darker wall should be less clumsy, with just one or two floor to ceiling cabinets.

and about that two dark walls option... this looks nice in a bedroom. Wall with the headrest and the one opposite to it with a TV, having darker shades. The other two walls (incomplete rectangles) with windows, balcony, wardrobe etc, in a lighter shade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back