Which Waterproofer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to repair a couple of patches on a roof felt thats otherwise sound. I found two tins in Wickes

1. Bitumen Roof Waterproofer - "a filled-in solvent based bitumen waterproofer"

2. Solvent Free Waterproofer - "an unfilled bitumen based waterproofer"

Whats the difference between the two as both claim to be bitumen based, and what does "filled-in" and "unfilled" mean?

What should I be using?

Sponsored Links
Bitumen Roof Waterproofer is Mixed with a filler component such as limestone or sand. Polymers are added to the bitumen such as APP (atactic polypropylene) a plastic additive that gives rigidity and tear resistance, or SBS (styrene butadiene styrene) a rubber additive that gives more elastic benefits.Benefits include that they move with the structure and do not absorb water. Bitumen is a hydrocarbon and is created naturally from crude oil.Bituminous membranes protect insulation and can reflect harmful sun rays.Bitumen is not water soluble, non-biodegradable and does not release harmful toxins.

So go for Bitumen Roof Waterproofer

Sponsored Links
I think Bitumen Roof Waterproofer is a flat roof is a type of covering of a building. In contrast to the sloped form of a roof, a flat roof is horizontal or nearly horizontal. Materials that cover flat roofs typically allow the water to run off freely from a very slight inclination Solvent Free Waterproofed is a rubber/ bitumen liquid emulsion with excellent adhesion which dries to a tough black seamless, flexible waterproof and vapour proof membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back