MAKING BITUMEN WATERPROOFER BRUSHABLE AGAIN:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I've been using brush-applied fibre filled bitumen waterproofer (from a 5 litre tin). At risk of being told it should have been obvious, the instructions did not advise to stir before or during use (so I didn't!). Initially the contents were paint consistency and brushed on easily - but after about two hours (and quite suddenly) became quite stiff and impossible to apply by brush.

My question is how do I make this waterproofer brushable again. Do I add white spirit or could I add water??

The instructions DID say to clean all tools with white spirit.

Advice would be appreciated.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
think i would be doing the whole lot again and this time make sure you stir the tin.

Thanks for that.

Not quite the answer I was looking for and I'm not sure how well-informed?? If it was critical I'm sure the instructions would have made mention - even a humble tin of paint tells you to stir the contents (except for non-drip).

I've seen this problem raised elsewhere but the answers have always been a bit ambiguous - I'm presuming it depends if the waterproofer is water or solvent based?

The instructions do at least recommend two coats - at right angles to each other.

Further replies will be appreciated.

Regards.

If white spirit is the solvent for the brushes, then use this to thin your bitumen......definitely not water!
Keep the solution on the thick side so you get a heavy coat - but not so thick that's it's difficult to apply.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - a much more useful answer! And confirmation of what I suspected.

It probably is a good idea to stir the contents from time to time and some people have suggested turning the tin upside down for a time. But I'm surprised there's no mention in the instructions - they usually cater for idiots (like me!).

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back