Aluminium Primer lumping up as it is applied

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have never seen this really before. Have a new tin of Fleetwood Aluminium Wood primer for the front door. Door is sanded and good to go. Paint is new and so are the brushes. Door is cleaned down.

Now I stirred the paint thoroughtly put as I was applying it, it would lump up on me roll into little balls, which would either stick to the door or fall on the floor. So I give the tin a blast with my power drill and mixer thinking that there was lumps in the tin... tried a new brush but the same result happened. I dont want a thick undercoat as I want the beauty of the grain to come out but when I try to spread this paint this is what happens.

Has anyone come across this before. I was going to thin it using white spirits but F-Wood decide to put instructions on the back of the tin for every other type of paint except the paint in the tin!!!!

ps.. I dont even know the technically term for this but its as if you where glossing on a warm day and decided as the paint was going off that you would run the brush over it... it gathers together in small rises and gets lumpy then you have to work it hard to smooth it out again...!!!

thanks- M

Sponsored Links
Mighty.

Applying an aluminium primer wont enhance the grain of the timber but only mask it. Primers such as these have excellent stain blocking powers and will also give superb protection regarding resinous bleed.

Before further advice are you using this primer as an undercoat on a previously painted or stained surface, or if the door is new has it been treated with with a factory finish.

Dec.

The door is sucking out the binder from your primer and leaving the aluminium residue behind. Use a standard primer and you'll fare a lot better. Aluminium primer is for resinous timber that has very low absorbency.

Yes you could be right here, yet I would tend at this time to be of the belief that other factors are involved. Therefore I would prefer to sit back and await further information, otherwise further advice would be based on mere speculation.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Joe, Dec... really big thanks for reply and 2 different but very appliciable responses.. got delayed watching X Factor lol...

@ Dec... yes Dec, the door is a hard wood as far as I can tell and has been previously stained in that mahogany colour. I want to make it bright red... makes the missus happy ;) I suppose you are right.. after the primer, an under coat and a gloss or 2 there wont be any grain left as its not that pronouced and is probably visible at the moment due to the current colour. So I suppose at the end of the day, I dont want the base colour coming through and want to seal it, to end up with a 'Nos 10 Downing Street' front door... that type of high gloss finish..

@ Joe... that actuall makes sense Joe... it does seem as if the liquid in the paint is getting sucked out and leaving the residue... but I dont know how as its a hard wood and I give it a nice sanding without going medivel on it...

So I suppose, am I following correct procedure with a hardwood mahogany looking door...

regards M---

ps.. thanks for the quick responses as I promised the missus I would have this done for Monday... extra brownie points pour moi ;)

Mighty.

The x factor!!!! your as bad as my mrs.

So. Although Joe raised an excellent point regarding the premature absorbing of the binder it does not seem apparent in your situation.

Primers in reality are applied only to new or unpainted surfaces, with regard to wood they raise the grain of the timber and allow excellent bonding of future coats.

Yet they should never be used on a previously painted or stained surface, the binder in this case will not be absorbed but rejected.

Good luck with that Downing street look

Dec.

thanks Dec,

that makes sense as it seems only a fine transparent coating of the primer sticks to the door.

So in this case for a door of this type... what should I use... just the under coat and the gloss or is there another primer for doors that have been already stained...

thanks again... M

Mighty.

The aluminium primer is the correct choice and it is what I would have used in your situation. Problem here is something on the door seems to be reacting against it.

Wax is one such coating that can make this happen, if I were you I would lightly abrade the surface and then wipe the door with white spirit, this should remove any residues that may be causing your problem.

Allow the spirit to both dry and evaporate and try again with the primer.

Dec.

thanks Dec, will try that now... I did give it a good olde sanding which has me surprised... what about thinning the primer... would that help.. thanks - M

You can if you wish slightly thin the primer, yet I think it's the existing coating on the door that is causing your problem.

Dec.

ok heres the update...

first had to rule out the door... so sanded the be-jazuz out of the front and give that back of it another light sanding. Had to do this to remove the first coat of primer that went wrong.

next had to rule out the paint. Bought another Alum Primer but a different brand, and opened it up. It was the same as the first with all the heavy stuff on the bottom.

Give it a light stir to mix in the paint at the top of the sediment but didnt stirr to the bottom of the can.

Next poured it out into a plastic bottle and hit it with the power drill for a real good stirr.

Had a look at the bottom of the tin, and when I went to stir it... hadnt some of the paint turned hard and powery at the bottom... this I believe was my problem... I stirred up the full can the last time so allow for some of this stuff to go off and dont go the whole way down when stirring.

Finally I applied it and it went on a dream... no probs on both sides of the door..

Moral of the story... dont believe all read on the side of a can... stirr well me a$$ lol

Hope this helps and special thanks to Dec for all his guidance ...M

Mighty.

Allow me first to thank you for thanking me, within this trade there are many pitfalls and these are often difficult to overcome.

The world of the Decorator is a constant learning curve, it is something of which none of us will ever master. Being the finishing trade it is often laid on the shoulders of the Dec to make it look ok.

Yet in my opinion we also have to make it last, so when the time comes and you for the very last time hang up your brush. That learning curve will seldom be mastered.

Glad you got it sorted and I wish you the best of luck with that Downing street look.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back