Paintbrush care/cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past week I have started painted for the first time and decided to use good quality brushes rather than throw away cheaper ones. I have been cleaning the brushes by removing excess paint on paper, cleaning in white spirit and then cleaning with washing up liquid and hot water when I left them for anything other than overnight. In that case I left them standing in white spirit which I have since found isn't good (deforms end of brush?). I also read washing them in hot water sets paint and makes them difficult to clean. I noticed cleaning brushes like this tends to leave the brush quite stiff (releases eventually on use) and not as soft which I assume for topcoats effects the finish.

Is there an accepted standard method of cleaning and storing paint brushes in this type of use. I know professional decorators will use brushes daily and so their usage will be slightly different but would be interested to hear if there is a "correct" way of caring for brushes?

From what I have read so far it seesms that to clean brushes for storage:

1. Pre-soak brushes in solvent e.g white spirit.
2. Don't overload brush with paint

3. Remove excess paint from brushes using paper towel.
4. Wash in a couple of washes of white spirit. (allow paint to settle out and re-use)
5. Then some people suggest washing with detergents and water, others just say dry brush off?????

I heard from a friend who paints commercial vehicles with enamel paint that they clean the brushes in appropriate solvent and then stand them in Linseed oil as it keeps the brushes supple and can be just wiped before use.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Breezer,

I did see those mentioned in other postings but wasn't sure if they were a gimmick.

Basically a holder you put in a drill that holds the brush and spins the paint off the brush onto inside of a cardboard box?

Martin

If your brushes are stiff you haven't cleaned them properly. Also, leave them to dry bristle up as any paint will run towards the ferrule and won't affect the performance.

When they've been washed, wrap them in newspaper and put a laggy band around them. This will act like your mum's rollers and they will be like new when you use them next.

I've yet to see a pro use one of those spinning cleaners.

joe

Sponsored Links
as an aside
if your carrying on painting with the same tin in a few hours or a few days time

you can just load up the brush well put in a plastic sandwich bag expell all air and hold tightly closed with an elastic band

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back