Paint brush storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone out there used one of these paint brush storage boxes, which have some sort of chemical in them which keeps brushes soft? Saves washing them out each time, and avoids bashing the hell out of your brushes to clean them. What are they called, and where can I get one? And are they any good?

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to clean them out, (because you are going to resume the job the next day), cling film does the job.

If the job is finished, the next time you need the brush, it will need a clean anyway, (you'll probably be using a different colour), so why not wash it properly?

slightly easier than cling film
a sandwich bag on a well loaded brush expel air
elastic band and will keep about 50 times longer
than drying time give or take

so if it takes 30 mins youve got a day

if it takes 3 hours youve got up to a week

big all

So, nobody's used these things, then?

I can't be bothered with various brushes knocking about in my workshop in various states of usage and colour, with bags or cling film around them. I would be happier with the brushes neatly clipped into a storage box, instantly ready for use at any time over the next 3 months (which is what these things do. Apparently.) So, I'm going to buy one anyway, and see. £20 for a 9 brush store, I think.

Sponsored Links
I think they are fantastic. I have the Brushmate 4 which has served me well for a number of years. Other decorators have seen the system and are well impressed. Have not thrown out a paint hardened brush since, as they keep the stored brush ready to use for months. buy one!

Thank you, kozzymodo. That's sounds more like it. And now I have a name to ask for.

I have three good quality brushes that I have owned for a number of years... wouldn't dream of leaving them in goop!

Always clean them thoroughly after each use. Also good brushes get better with age (much like myself ;) )

If I could hide them from my wife... I'd keep a seperate set for pigmented paints and white paints.

Many a good brush has died R.I.P. to to the wife and clingfilm...

Thats the beauty of the Brushmate system - it uses vapour not liquids or 'goop' to store the brush

I've bought one of these things: A "Brushmate 4+". Cost was £12.71, including extra vapour wick from the local Dulux colour centre. Already used it for 4 days, and the brushes were as soft as the day they went in. It's already saved me half an hour's worth of brush cleaning, and having to take Clingfilm on site to wrap them up. The vapour's supposed to last up to 6 months, but I guess 3 is nearer the mark, but at £2.50 for a new wick, I think that's OK. Certainly it works very well, and I'd recommend it to others.

For the record, they do a Brushmate 20, which has a galvanised carrying box with two compartments (one for white, one for colours), uses fluid wicked from a bottle (rather than a disposable sachet), and holds up to 20 brushes. This one costs about 50 quid, though.

Anyone have any tips on the best method fro cleaning brushes after use with oil based primers and undercoat?

I cleaned two Harris brushes in white spirit after leaving overnight immersed.
Went to use them today and they felt a bit stiff, didn't want to risk brush marks so left job until tomorrow.

Cheers all,

I have a brushmate 20. A bit big for what I need it for but is the nutt's. You buy the fluid in 250mm bottles and it lasts ages. Ideal if you are painting every day (which I do not) as the brushes just stay in the same condition as you put them in.

If you don't paint regularly then just wash your brushes out in white spirit and when all paint has been removed wash with warm water and a bit of washing up liquid.

Thanks, I might look at the smaller Brushmate.

Will paraffin restore my brushes at all?

The synthetic one is ok after a bit more cleaning but the pure bristle still has small flakes high up in the bristles.

Ta

You don't paint with the top of the bristle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back