Which windows profile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Would appreciate some guidance.

Been looking at getting our aged uPVC windows/doors changed, I recently got quotes again after a few years saving up and spending elsewhere on the house we've finally got around to the windows.

Sizes are approximate:
1 x 900 x 1650 - Toughened Glass - Top opener
1 x 600 x 950 - Obscure Glass - Full Opener
1 x 900 x 1900 - Top opener
1 x 1700 x 1150 - Side Opener
2 x 1700 x 1780 - Two top openers
1 x 1230 x 1960 - Toughened Glass - Top and Side
1 x 1230 x 1960 - Top and Side Opener
2 x Rockdoor (front door has a side panel and arch)
Anthracite on white
Planitherm total+ glass

Narrowed it down to two local companies, I’m based in Oldham:
£6400 for Deceuninck heritage 2800 – A+
£6100 for Profile 22 Optima – A+
Both offer insurance via CERTASS/FENSA.

Which profile would you pick?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Personally I would vote for Deceuninck, Have fitted alot of it lately and its very nice. Only thing I don't like i the grey rather than black gasket but I'm getting used to it.

I would say avoid Rockdoor like the plague. Soooo many problems with them getting posted on my trade fitters forums.

The most important thing is the fitting though. A crap window fitted well is better than a great window fitted crap.

Hi

Thanks for the advice and taking time to reply.

It’s a minefield out there! Picking a profile isn’t easy, to me they both look like normal uPVC Windows! It seems everyone has their favourite system and you’re absolutely correct it all comes down to the fitting. I see Profile22 Optima getting recommended a lot online could be because they’re a British company.

I’ve come across numerous door companies, Solidor, Distinction, Door Co, Endurance to name a few. Reading and talking to people it seems all doors have some issues, either folk don’t like a Nan Ya slab or a varnished colour finish rather than GRP. How do you choose what to buy? Lot to take in.

Appreciate the help.

True if your not in the trade is very tricky to know, Even if you are the options are just crazy nowadays.
PVC windows you can go wrong on the make really, They are all pretty similar and all meet regs. However its also down to the factory that puts them together and that along with the fitting is the important bits.

Its also in the aftersales. When/if there is a problem how quickly will it be sorted.

Most comp doors have their little issues.
I use Doorstop alot which is nan ya slab, Never had any major issues and Doorstop have been very quick to rectify the ones I have had.
Solidor I use quite a bit too. Many fitters complain about bowed slabs but I haven't had any yet.

Sponsored Links
Having delved further into the tech behind the two profiles, Profile 22 seems to have 5 & 6 chambers whereas the Deceuninck has 4. Does this make a difference? Also, I found an old comment albeit written years ago that suggested the welds on the Deceuninck break (sorry don’t know the correct term for the corner of a pvc window). I’m assuming it’s just a throwaway comment. What’s your experience been with the Heritage 2800 range, certainly is the most attractive of the two.

Thanks for the feedback on the doors.

Most windows are welded in the corners, Cracked welds would be either a factory or fitting issue which could happen with any make but rarely does. If you go with Decurninc you could look at paying a little extra and get the mechanically jointed corners (small 2mm weld internally on the sash's for strength).
Its not a huge extra cost but does look very smart especially if your having colored windows.

More chambers is better thermally but also come down to what thickness of frame (some are 60mm, Most are 70mm. Residence 9 are 100mm with 9 chambers if you want to go crazy) and also the glass spec. Ask what the U values will be on the quotes you have received, I expect they will be pretty much the same of around 1.2 -1.4U.

May be worth trying to find out if the company's who have quoted have fitters on price work or day rate/salary. Price work they get around £60 per window so throw them in as fast as possible to make a wage. Fitters on day rate tend to do a better job as they are not being rushed as much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back