Windows and doors quote - Ok or too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Just had a quote for Windows and Doors and now my heads hurts, was here over an hour.

Is it 9 windows and 2 doors.

Front Door - 870x2000 (+400 for window above door) Cystal window effect and in oak.
BAck Door - 870x2000 (whole door glass with catflap)

Window 1 1100x1600 oak (1 opener looks like a sash) BR
Window 2 900 x 1600 oak (same) BR
Window 3 1100 x 1600 oak (same) DR

All these are white

Window 4 600x800 (all one opener) LANDING
Window 5 400x1000 (Top opener) BATH
Window 6 1000x1600 (2 openers top and bottom) LR
Window 7 1000x1600 ( 1/3 side window opener) KITCHEN
Window 8 1100 x 1200 (2 top openers) BATH
Window 9 1200 x 1600 ( 1 top opener)

All the normal K Glass, and 24mm glass. Said the police don't recommend 28mm as you can put the window through, not sure if bull or not.
Was £11,019 But today price only of £8000

Seems alot, but havent had any other quotes yet to compare it too. But got another couple coming out next week, just wondering if anyone has their windows done and is this quote fair?

Any advice would be great

The company we used http://www.dunravenwindows.com/ (South Wales)

Sponsored Links
OP get two more quotes from local companies avoid the nationals, then you will have something to compare against, the 24mm Vs 28mm sounds like crap to me.

A feverable quotation, wots that then?

I adivse aluminium windows or pvc windows . Excellent watertight, airtight, sound insulation, heat insulation
If you have drawing , pls send .

Sponsored Links
i would have thought about 6-6.5 k based on your information. get more quotes but make sure company is either fensa or certass registered and you should be at least offered an insurance backed guarantee, i give them as standard with my jobs. find out what profile they are using and what the energy rating of the window is , building reg's states a minimum of a "c" rating but really you should be asking for 28mm argon filled sealed units with warm edge spacer bar(thats the bit between the 2 panes of glass) most good firms will be able to offer this and most people use 28mm nowadays not 24mm is there anyone who friends or family can recommend? a small local firm will always give a better service and will be easier to get back if there is a problem in the future

Jamie80 - I actually got a quote from the online firm you mention when I was looking for glazing about a year ago. They were actually very competitive and their windows and doors well specified. You have to send them all the measurements and openings needed. This is easier if you get a local quote first as they normally leave you a copy of all the measurements and openings, so you can use that.

Went with a local firm in the end, it was close though.

leave you a copy of all the measurements and openings, so you can use that.

Only a fool would take all the measurements and leave them with the customer.

As i said why do all the leg work and then give the client the dimensions so they can ring around.

How many, where and what colour should suffice :D

I WORKED IN THE TRADE 24YEAR+ AND IS ABOUT RIGHT FOR A COMPANY LIKE THAT. COULD BE DONE FOR ABOUT £6000 IF YOU LOOK AROUND. WE FIT 28MM "A" RATED GLASS ALL THE TIME NOT MANY COMPANYS FIT 24MM ANY MORE SO WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT IS RUBBISH. A GOOD LOCAL RECEMENDED TRADESMAN IS YOUR BEST ANSWER..

I WORKED IN THE TRADE 24YEAR+ AND IS ABOUT RIGHT FOR A COMPANY LIKE THAT. COULD BE DONE FOR ABOUT £6000 IF YOU LOOK AROUND. WE FIT 28MM "A" RATED GLASS ALL THE TIME NOT MANY COMPANYS FIT 24MM ANY MORE SO WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT IS RUBBISH. A GOOD LOCAL RECEMENDED TRADESMAN IS YOUR BEST ANSWER..

STOP SHOUTING :D

I would recommend www.mpnwindows great service and good quality installation. Showroom in Cardiff and Veka members.

Hope this helps - I had a few quotes but these were the most genuine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back