Is my window quote ok?

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got someone round to quote on new windows for my house but have no idea if the quote is OK or not and would be grateful for any advice.

• French door 1700w x 2100 with 2 small openers above to take height to 2400.
  • L shaped bay window with 7 panels each 600w x 1330. 3 full height openers 1 top half opener.
  • U shaped bay window with 6 panels each 600w x 1000. 2 full height opener 1 top half opener.
  • Front window 1160w x 1330 half width opening.
  • Back window 1750w x 1350. 3 panes 2 opening.
All the windows (excellent door and back) with leaded pattern. Windows a rated. Including cost of making good plaster etc. London prices. £6800.

Reasonable?

Thanks

Edit: I should add that existing glazing is aluminium in old wooden frames which are being removed.

Sponsored Links
What colour? Fitted ? Big multi national or local company?

At the end of the day , its what ever you think is a good deal....

Also , technically , as they have leadwork , they can not be A rated. They will have the same 'U' and ' G' ( solar gain value ) but they can not be A rated. It is by all means a technicality though!

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Cor blimey, bet they'll be bish bash bosh, 2 days max, meaning you're paying them thousands in labour for a few days work.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Cor blimey, bet they'll be bish bash bosh, 2 days max, meaning you're paying them thousands in labour for a few days work.

He reckoned it was three and a half days work but I take it from your message that you think it's expensive?

For London it sounds reasonable.
Always get 3 quotes if your not sure. Local company's preferably with recommendations from friends/family.

A good window fitted poorly is worse than a poor window fitted well.

• Thanks
As said, get another couple of quotes so it is easier to compare.
We did an extension about 3 years ago - Leicester not London -,but had about 10 windows replaced and fitted new. We used:
Gediminas Subacius
Showroom:
401 Footscray Road,
New Eltham,
London SE9 2DP
t: +442082973134
m: +447572384087
www.perfectwoodworks.co.uk
The windows are triple glazed timber / aluminium composite tilt and turn, 4 windows dual panes 1800 x 1170, the rest various smaller ones.
Very good quality. Fitting though was done by the builder. They charged £6500 delivered to site and the builder asked for £50 per window.

Is that including vat? Seems a bit much but we don't know what's involved. Box sash removal

So second quote is in for £7,250 but that included 2 additional windows (each made of 3 500x500 panels in a rectangle, one window frosted). I haven't had a breakdown so not sure how much these additional windows added to the quote (I got the impression that it wasn't much).

Final quote on Thursday then I'll make a decision.

Final quote was £7,200 which is the one I have gone for, so they were all pretty close to each other.

It's complicated becausethe house has only recently been clad in foam and rendered and all of the existing window frames have been recessed behind it slightly so they'll all have to be rather delicately removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back