Whilst I've got this floor up...... insulate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to re-board the floor in this walk through / hall way which was previously a bedroom - as it was badly laid - I'm laying new laminate flooring through this room in to the room shown beyond. Everything from the arch threshold and beyond is a brand new extension with highly insulated floor so I'm just replacing this side of the arch. This old floor is ventilated beneath the new extension floor via telescopic vents.

Would it be worth putting some PIR insulation under the boards I'm about to replace? Theres a 100mm gap directly under the chipboard as shown which I'm thinking shouldn't be fully blocked, but there are also the smaller low level gaps in the red brickwork as shown so could it be part insulated, say 50mm PIR, or is that likely to be detrimental? The walkway is only 2.5m x 2.5m so not a major part of the house but it now has a high vaulted ceiling which is well insulated up above so whilst I'm doing the floor I thought it worth considering.

Thanks

IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Heat losses from floors are mostly due to draughts.

There is no convection, and little radiation or conduction.

Mineral wool is better for blocking draughts because you can stuff it tightly between joists with no precision cutting required.

Start round the edges of the room because draughts are worst under the skirting where there is a gap.

Clean out dirt and rubble, especially organic material. Lag pipes. Cables can be above or under the insulation, but must not be surrounded.

Do not block ventilation gaps, especially airbricks.

When reassembling the floor, add struts (noggins) to support all cut edges and joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back