Whining noise on Halstead Combi when hot water is turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the hot water is turned off from any of the taps, the boiler makes a whining noise.

This only happens when hot water is used and not when the burners shut off in central heating mode.

If hot water is used while heating is on then the whine will carry on when the tap is turned off.

Pressure is 1 - 1.5

It is a Halstead Ace High (I think), installed 2002

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
It all depends what a wining noise sounds like!

You have not told us how long it goes on for?

Does it continue if you turn off the electric supply to the boiler?

Does it make any diffference turning the water temperature knob back from maximum?

All these answers would help us to suggest a cause!

Tony

If memory serves me right i think they had a problem with the seals in the diverter valve causing noise when shutting off.

Then again i might be wrong ,memeory aint what it used to be.

Paul

:)

Sponsored Links
The squeaking diverter valves were rather later than that 2002 model, as I recall about 2004.

That lasted for about 2-3 seconds after DHW use.

Most people described it as a "squeak" or "sigh".

However, that was on the motor actuator driven models. Whilst I an not certain I would have expected his boiler to have the water actuated diverter. Can anyone check that point?

Tony

Agile said:
It all depends what a wining noise sounds like!

This should be good.....I would say it is a 'screech' that rises slightly in pitch in its 3-4 second outburst.

If the central heating is on then occasionally the whine will become a very low sustained squeak, which I 'cure' by running the hot tap again and hope it shuts up this time.

Agile said:

Not tried that

Agile said:
Does it make any diffference turning the water temperature knob back from maximum?

Or that one, will try tonight. I don't have it on maximum, about midway I think.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions

Hi Tony

Thanks again for the replies & suggestions, here is the update.

Agile said:

No. Tried this as soon as the tap was off and no sound and also midway through its 'solo' and it shut up.

Agile said:

This did not seem to make a difference. I also tried it with the dial from maximum, mine is about midway.

It is labeled as an Ace High and has the G.C. Appliance No. 47 333 16 on the installation manual if that helps.

Cheers

Dave

A link to U-Tube ?

We need to know if you have a motor driven diverter actuator. They are black with three connections about the size of a large block of Lifebuoy soap.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back