Whining Salamander Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.

Will be brutally honest here so I can take a bit of stick if I need to.

I have DIY installed a Salamander CT60BU for a mixer shower and hot basin tap, the pressure is fine but the unit is really loud and whiny.

I opted for a negative head pump on Salamanders advice as I have installed a mixer tap on a gravity fed system (please don't hate) and obviously I wasn't sure if the flow rate would activate a positive head pump so the chap on the phone to opt for a negative head just be on the safe side.

Are negative head pump generally louder? As it doesn't sound like the pump will last the test of time. I can only imagine the noise is been generated by air entering the pump but I'm not sure how.

The pump is fed from a dedicated 15mm pipe from the cold water storage tank in the loft (I've checked that this isn't been drained by the pump in operation). The hot side is fed directly from an Essex flange on the side of hot water tank (in the bathroom) and down straight into the top of the pump.

I've isolated the electric for the pump and ran the hot and cold independently and the flow is good, quiet and smooth. I've also disconnected the outlets from the pump and ran water through it, again no issues.

Heard bad things about Salamanders warranty honour so don't want issues down the line.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt say negative head pumps are louder, was there a pump before or what are you comparing it to. All these pumps are noisy to a degree and what is the pump sitting on? A small paving slab and a sheet of rubber or a cheap washng m/c mat can make a huge difference.

I wouldnt say negative head pumps are louder, was there a pump before or what are you comparing it to. All these pumps are noisy to a degree and what is the pump sitting on? A small paving slab and a sheet of rubber or a cheap washng m/c mat can make a huge difference.

So we recently bought the house. There was just a walk in shower before with an old SupaJet power shower. I have ripped the old shower out and fitted a bath with a mixer shower (standard head, no switching modes etc). After doing my research I decided that the pipework for the old power shower should be be fine to adapt to the Salamander pump, the difference been that the hot feed for the power shower came out the side and up to the old shower, I have obviously altered this to come straight down to the pump next to the cylinder.

The pump is sat on a 22mm deep offcut of Indian sandstone from next doors garden renovation

Maybe there is nothing wrong with it and I just expected it to be a bit quieter. Though to be honest the pump is sat slightly under the bath which does not have a bath panel on yet so hopefully this will reduce some of the noise.

Sponsored Links
We don't have a panel for the bath yet but will certainly give it a try when we do.

My main concern was the whining coming from the pump, would you say this is anything to be worried about? The pump performs exactly how it should. I have turned the tank stat down to a more reasonable level than it was when we moved in. The cold outlet is just feeding the shower and the hot is feeding both the shower and the hot tap on the basin. The hot for the bath is fed from the original feed out the top of the tank as I found the capped end from when the house originally had a bath.

Sadly the connecting the original tank feed to the mixer tap resulted in too little pressure on the hot side as I expected anyway so I opted for the bathroom pump.

I can't see anything wrong that I know of in my application of the pump?

Also forgot to mention during altering the pipework from the old power shower to the pump I cut out the old gate valves and installed new full bore isolators.

Hi,
Thanks for choosing a Salamander Pump.

We have had a read through this feed and sounds like your install is fine, so this shouldn't be causing any issues. The CT Bathroom pump is a regenerative pump which tend to have a more whining noise than centrifugal pumps, such as our Right Pumps - you can watch this video to learn more (
).

Without hearing the noise we wouldn't be able to say if this was expected from normal operation, so if you would like to speak to a member of our Technical Team who will be able to listen to the noise and advise just send us a DM on one of our social media channels (@SalamanderPumps) with your pump serial number and a contact number.

Thanks,
Salamander Pumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back