Whirlpool Washing Machine Error Code FH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need some advice concerning my Whirlpool washing machine which give me an intermittent error code of FH. The washing machine can go through many cycles without giving me code and other times it can occur many times during one cycle.

From what I’ve read on the web it is a water issue in which the machine is saying there is insufficient water in the machine which I can agree with as there seems to be hardly any water in the machine and what has been put in seems to have been absorbed by the clothes in the drum.

I’ve checked all the things that I have been recommended to do and everything appears to be OK apart from the water inlet solenoid valves, although they both did open and close when performing a diagnostic check on the machine.

However, whilst the solenoid valves open and close, if they’re not working exactly as they should, i.e. only opening partially there might not be sufficient flow through the valve in the time they are open to get the required water level in the machine so I’ve tried checking for continuity/resistance of both valves/solenoids as I have a hot and cold fill but this where I am struggling a bit.

I have a digital multimeter which when set for continuity, setting 200 ohms (lowest value position) with audible sound I don’t seem to be getting a continuity reading and I get a resistance reading of 3.6 in the 20K ohm range, which seems a little high as when googling “typical water valve/solenoid resistance value” the answer seems to be between 500 - 1500 ohms, however, both hot and cold valves have similar resireadings.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jules

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert on Whirlpool washing machines but on most others the water inlet is controlled by the pressure switch detecting the level in the drum. The tube between the pump & the pressure switch blocking (usually at the pump end ) or getting kinked or nipped is a common problem, as is the pump body needing clearing of debris where the tube connects to it. Less likely, though possible, is a faulty switch.
Motor brushes worn down can also give weird faults if your machine has that type of motor.

Thanks jj4091 for the reply.

One of the things I have checked is the diaphragm in the pressure switch by blowing and sucking on the rubber pipe and I get 2 positive clicks which from what I understand means the switch should be working correctly, although that “test” isn’t definitive as the issue might be the electrical side of the switch or the diaphragm might although appearing to work be defective is some manner which I cannot see physically. In my instance the PS is connected via the rubber tube to a housing that is attached to the lowest point on the back of the out drum casing. I’ve also cleaned the machine including the housing which the pressure switch rubber tube gets connected, it’s wasnt that dirty actually and the rubber pipe is all OK as it was secured with a clip in the middle so it has not frayed, split to anything like that.

Whilst the machine is fairly old, it is a semi industrial model and was rated at 25 washes a week, it has only been used in a domestic setting and hasn’t really hasn’t been given a hard life so I don’t think the motor is worn or has defective brushes but none the less if I keep getting the code it will be something to consider moving forward.

I’ve spoken with Whirlpool and they do have both water valve/solenoids in stock and for £60 delivered I might just get a pair if the problem keeps re-occurring as I’ve run the machine through about 6 washes and it’s been OK, however, that is the issue, the machine may work OK for numerous washes and then the problem pops up and I have to sit by the machine to nurse it through just 1 wash!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back