Whistling immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 300 litre De Dietrich water heater installed in my house in France. It's about 18 month old. For the last 6 months it's been making an intermittent whistling sound, but the water temperature seems fine and theres no evidence of an airlock. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Is it whistling the Marseillaise :rolleyes: element is prob. on the way out :cry: just replaced a "hardwater" one over here- 2 yrs only :eek: to the month

Thanks Nigel - it's pretty tuneless, but driving us mad. Could it be due to water pressure changes in the supply. I'm thinking of fitting a non-return valve...

I don`t think a non return valve would be a good idea.the water has to expand somwhere :eek: and I think that it may go back into the mains in France...they don`t have any expansion vessels on their unvented heaters, the water dribbles to waste.but then they`ve probably got a bettersupply infrastructure to cope witha bit of loss........General observation when I went there was that they only engineer what is needed, and in my opinion this has a certain "purity" about it...and they take the **** out of us :LOL: I`m beginning to wish I was French, we`re becoming the joke of the EU :oops: sorry - :confused: politics crept in

Sponsored Links
Nige,

Thanks for that. I don't think it can be the element as it whistles even when the power is off! I suggested a non return valve as I suspect it may be heavy usage from the farm next door causing fluctuations in pressure, but i do take your point abpout the hot water having to expand somewhere. Another thought - it has a sacrificial anode which is always "on" even when the power is off thanks to a battery. Could this be causing the whistling?

It's doing it even as I sit and type this - grrrrrr!

Hi guys!

I think I may have solved the problem. Eventually I gave in and called the firm which installed the immersion heater. They replaced the "groupe de securite" which is a combined inlet, drainage point and pressure relief valve.

This was a week ago and there's been no whistle since. The guy said it was "bizarre" but thinks there may have been a foreign body in the unit and the movement of water in the pipes was causing a noise which was then amplified in the heater casing.

I dunno...but it's really peaceful here now!

Foreign body...in a country that`s foreign to us :LOL: thanks for the outcome...enjoy life in France ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back