whistling radiators

• Thread starter top of the hill
  • Start date
T

top of the hill

Hi
occasionally my central heating system makes a loud noise that can be heard over most of the house as a sort of rapid rumble, but which actually can be localised down to a radiator making a kind of whistling noise.

This is cured by turning the rad down, either on the TRV or the lockshield. This has happened several times, and as a result most of my TRVS are set quite low, either on 2 or 3.

The net result is fine, the rads are very warm and I have no noise, but I wondered what the cause of this was, is something fundamentally wrong? Although I have lots of heat, it does seem odd not to be able to turn the TRVS open fully

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Just turning this one rad stops the noise?

Sounds like your TRV is on the return and not the flow.

Cure: Buy a bi directional TRV and replace it with the current one, this allows the water to flow in either direction.

Sounds more like the pressure differential is too high, instead of turning the valve down, what happens if you turn it up.

Fitting an Auto bye pass valve or turning the pump will cure the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back