white gloss paint turning creamish only after a week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i was wondering if any expert decorators could help me out here.

i have painted crown white non drip gloss paint over previously gloss painted doors, and the new paint has turned creamish only after a week, previously it was cream paint, painted over this with dulux once coat about two yrs ago which also turned creamish now this is also turniong creamish. i have not washed the doors down with sugar soap, i was told it dont make much difference. can anyone help out please. as i keep on repainting it keeps on going creamish after only a week or so.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would sugar soap the door down this will get rid of any finger grease and other risdues. Rub down and apply a coat of oil based under coat then a coat of Dulux Trade brilliant whit gloss. This will stay white for you.

thanxs for replies guys, i have rubbed the doors down but no effect only thing left is sugar soap and it is possible it could be cig tar as i am heavy smoker...anyhow i was wondering if satin paint would keep its whiteness and whether it is hard wearing as gloss any advice on this please

Sponsored Links
a guaranteed method if your not sure what is causing the yellowing is to use a blocking primer like stain block or BIN, then coat it up with an acrylic undercoat(not acrylic primer undercoat) followed by a coat of acrylic gloss.

Yellowing can be caused by either a stain bleeding through, heat or lack of daylight, acrylic gloss is not affected by heat or daylight so this would do the trick

what would be the best undercoat to use to cover the old gloss, i dont want to sand down again to bare wood as it took a long time before and i have just furnished the house so dont want too much mess in applying new paint

ok if you want speed use zinsser bin primer this you can top coat in 45 mins and you can put it onto your old gloss without sanding, or cheaper option use oil based undercoat, leave for 4 days to cure then coat up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back