Which Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago I painted some doors with Dulux Non Drip Gloss Paint Brilliant White and want to do the same again. I went to B&Q and they also have something called Dulux Professional Liquid Gloss Paint Pure Brilliant White, is this a better paint?

Some of the reviews on the B&Q site mentioned that both paints (and some other white paints) turned yellow after a while and its all down to a EU rule a couple of years ago where they had to stop using some of the chemicals during manufacturing. Is that really true and are my doors going to turn yellow after a while?

Sponsored Links
new reg's meant a reduction in solvent and gloss has been yellowing very quickly, particularly in areas with no natural light. The dulux blue lid is on its second reformulation and seems ok but there's still a question mark under it.

Water based glosses are a better option but harder to apply, johnstones aqua is the best at the moment. If you search the forum there's loads on this subject.

Sikkens satura BL which is a satin is a very good option if you don't mind a mid sheen, the johnstones satin is also good

Spoke with Dulux and they confirmed that the problem with it yellowing is still continuing. Although they changed their chemicals in 2011 they say that after some time it will go a bit yellow.

Sponsored Links
I like the Johnstone's too, but can also recommend

(i) Little Greene acrylic gloss
(ii) Dulux water based exterior Weathershield (I have used this inside on a hall, stairs and landing in a house with 5 kids and 3 dogs and it has stood up to the abuse very well).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back