White stuff on top of cold tank in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, you guys helped me solve a previous problem, and I wonder if you'll come up trumps this time :D

My loft has two inlet tanks - not unusual I hear you say - but the second one has a white scummy stuff on top of it.

Any ideas what it is, what has caused it (it wasnt there the last time I went in the loft about 2 months ago) and is it toxic?

Once I've sorted out this problem, I'll go onto my next one which involves a shower that's not worked for various reasons since day it was installed this time last year!!

Look forward to hearing from anyone with any help.
Sue :confused:

Sponsored Links
Is it the smaller one (which will not be of concern ) or the larger one which would need attention quickly as you will be washing in it. :(

Hi there

Both thanks are the same size! It's not the one that fills from the mains, but the secondary one, so I guess we will be washing in it!

I had a problem caused by my plumber where he let some lagging fall into the second tank! I drained the system, which caused the taps to block up and the toilets!! There is still a small amount of this fibre glass lagging in the second tank despite my best efforts. I am therefore worried that to drain the system will cause further problems. Is there anything I can use as a filter over the outlets (4 of them) to prevent this stuff creeping back into the pipes?

You thought this was going to be an easy one didnt you :LOL:

You thought this was going to be an easy one didnt you

Don't do easy ones. ;)

Are the two tanks connected together? Is the ballvalve in the same tank as the draw-off connections? If so then the "white stuff" is probably scum formed on the surface owing to the water in that tank not being used and becoming stagnant. The correct configeration is for the inlet to be fitted to one tank and the outlets fitted to the other tank to allow a through-flow and prevent the build-up of stagnant water.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes they are connected, and yes the inlet valve is in one, the outlets are in the other, it is the outlet one with the scum on it. With two young kids, a washing machine on all the time, I dont understand how we could not be using enough water to allow this scum to develop???

:(

Best thing to do is drain the lot off and clean thoroughly both tanks and then refill.

Your tanks should both have a lid on them. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back