Who Makes The Quitest TRVs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow Worm 30cxi combi (yes I know!), and budget Caleffi TRVs.

When everything heats up, the TRVs make a loud hissing sound. They are all set to 5/max.

Would changing to a different make of TRVs reduce this noise? If yes, which are the quietest? Are there other things I should be doing as well?

Sponsored Links
What's the point of having all your TRVs set to max? Why not just have normal valves if you're going to do that?

Do you do normal things like listening to the radio or watching TV?

Or do you pad round in slippers creeping up to each TRV to listen to it?

Its normal for a heating system to make a slight hissing noise but thats not enough for anyone to usually have any problem with it.

Tony

Don't blame your TRV's, either fit an automatic bypass valve or correctly adjust the one already fitted :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
R&C, now't wrong wi' 30CXi...

Anyways, perhaps your whole system needs balancing so's the nearest rads don't get such a powerful - and noisy - flow?

I understand the 30CXi has an auto by-pass built in?

Do all the rads do this - even the ones furtherest from the boiler? If not, perhaps the lockshields on the noisy ones need tweaking down a tad. BUT, that should only be done systematically and with the correct instructions.

Although most Combi boilers have a "built in" by-pass this is only to protect the boiler & pump against closed valve situations and will do little to releive noise from TRV's as they shut. As I have already suggested an AUTO Bypass valve of 22mm dia should be installed between the Heating F&R as the differential pressure rises in the system due to TRV's closing, the ABV opens up releiving the pressure and the noise. THIS IS THE SOLUTION to noisy TRV's!! ;)

Two reasons for the noise. :rolleyes:

Pump head too high.

Microbore pipe.

The glow worm 30CXi has a fixed speed pump set to max to provide sufficient flow rate to heat hot water unless the boiler is equipped with a two speed or variable speed pump then invariably the pump speed WILL be too high for Central heating - not a lot you can do about that except fit a ABV as I do keep suggesting! ;)

If your TRVs aren't bi-directional and are running against their normal flow direction that can cause noise issues. Look at Danfoss Ras-D2 TRVs if you want to upgrade your existing ones

Do you do normal things like listening to the radio or watching TV?

Or do you pad round in slippers creeping up to each TRV to listen to it?

Its normal for a heating system to make a slight hissing noise but thats not enough for anyone to usually have any problem with it.

Tony

Unless I turn the TV up really loud, I can still hear the one in the lounge. Haven't heard loud hissing from other people's radiators.

Do your installations make loud hissing noises? Do your systems need the owners to turn up radios to block out the noise?

Only people like Jim Royle sit with a TV on all day! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies.

Firstly, its not microbore.

The one in the lounge seems to be the worst. Perhaps because it's virtually under the boiler (bungalow, with boiler in loft).

It's not just a slight hiss, you can hear it above the TV, especially as the system gets hotter.

I would like to use the TRVs for what they were intended, but turning them down makes them worse, so I just let the hall stat control everything.

Will try putting a bypass in. Is there a good one, or are they all the same?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back