Who owns the meter->isolator tails and isolator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya.. I think the answer to this is "the DNO" but a bit more info would be great

I've bought a property that has a 3 phase 4 wire supply
I can see the 4 wires(plus earth) coming out of the ground and into the bottom of a large economy 7 meter
The fuses have been pulled on the 3 phases supply and are on the floor in front of the meter. The panel under the meter where the wires go in has an intact security tag..

Judging by the way there's an unpainted rectangle on the wall next to the meter, there was once an isolator of some sort there. the wires from the CU reach down to the rectangle. I'm assuming that the supply was disabled by removing the tails and isolator, and then sealing the meter terminals back up

In going about getting this reconnected, who should I call? A sparky, electricity northwest, or eon/npower/supplier? Who buys the isolator? who buys the tail wiring? I'm wondering, you see, should I buy an isolator and 25mm tails, have a sparky mate fit it and leave the tails with enough length, and then right someone else up to have them connected to the meter and the fuses reinstalled and tagged?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
The DNO own and have responsibility for the incoming supply cable, main fuse/fuses, and metering.
Then from the meters tail connections, any isolation switches, distribution, distribution boards(fuse/consumer units), protective devices, and installation wiring and the earth connection is generally down to the home/property owner.
So in most cases a DNO engineer is required for their part and an independent electrician for the consumers side. So you could plan to have an isolator installed with tails ready to connect up to the meter, on occasions if asked very nicely the DNO may install the isolator for you. sometimes at cost and sometimes not.

Thanks for that :)

So, I should buy an isolator or get the DNO to supply one? If I buy my own, what would you recommend? I'd like to keep the 3 phase. Once upon a time this place was a factory and has quite a hefty set of motors, pumps etc. I'd be looking for 3 phase more for lathe/workshop appliance reasons so my electricity demands would be lower than those already installed. What sort of amperage isolator/mcb should I be looking for? And would it be 3 phase plus neutral, or would the neutral be connected directly without isolation, and the 3 lives out of the meter go through the isolator?

Thanks!

Some Dnos wont touch the meter, i dont think nowadays its nothing to do with them, though they do sometimes help you out connecting the tails , from there fuses to the meter, we had a meter burn out and the edf records told us the meter in this case was british gas (the supplier), british gas never had an out of service and resulted in the shop shut for two days, edf as it was then said there was nothing they could do so just left the supply fuses out

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic? Sounds like what you’re thinking is the meter may be the eco7 timer/teleswitch and the rectangle was the actual meter?

Whatever may be missing you need to contact a supplier to arrange for a new connection, you shouldn’t need to involve the DNO if a supply is already present to the building. Your new supplier will arrange the fitting of a new meter etc. there may be a small charge as it’s a new supply but I’m not entirely sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back