Replace tails from cutout to meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 60A service fuse and 16mm tails from cutout to meter. I have 25mm tails from meter to isolator and from isolator to CU.

I paid the DNO to move the overhead supply cable to underground. They would have replaced the fuse with a 100A at the same time, but didn't because of the 16mm tails.

DNO told me an electrician needs to change the tails. An electrician told me the DNO needs to change them. Looking around, I believe my supplier (Bulb) owns these tails. Is that correct? Are they likely to change them to 25mm if I ask? Will they charge to do so?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It should be the supplier. Whether they will charge or even know what you actually want done is another matter entirely.

DNO won't, as they don't deal with metering.
Electricians can't as it would involve breaking the seals on the meter.

It should be the supplier. Whether they will charge or even know what you actually want done is another matter entirely.

DNO won't, as they don't deal with metering.
Electricians can't as it would involve breaking the seals on the meter.
I find typically it can take more than one call to get this sorted. They'll always argue it's not their job even though they're the only ones who can do it.

I have a 60A service fuse and 16mm tails from cutout to meter. I have 25mm tails from meter to isolator and from isolator to CU.

I paid the DNO to move the overhead supply cable to underground. They would have replaced the fuse with a 100A at the same time, but didn't because of the 16mm tails.

DNO told me an electrician needs to change the tails. An electrician told me the DNO needs to change them. Looking around, I believe my supplier (Bulb) owns these tails. Is that correct? Are they likely to change them to 25mm if I ask? Will they charge to do so?

Cheers.
Don't pay until they sort it. Whoever fitted the new cutout should have had suitable tails on the van.
Additionally I find the fitters more often than not are quite happy to fit 100 fuse on 16mm tails.

Sponsored Links

Cheers.

Do you need the fuse changing to 100A? Presumably the system has been fine the whole time, or are you planning new electrical apparatus?

Yes currently fine, but we're building an extension which will have a new kitchen and electric shower, as well as potentially EV charging at some point in the future. I'll call Bulb next week and see how I get on... Thanks for all the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back