who / what is eating my strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time a strawberry is get ripe for picking, I look and its gone.
I have 3 plants in my veg patch, 2 days ago there was a big red berry, I thought I will have that, go to get it & it had gone. Today at 8am there was another nice big one at midday it had gone.
Any ideas this part of the garden is fenced off so no rabbits or squirrels.

Sponsored Links
probably birds I'd think - that's why folk tend to put netting over soft fruits. You should be able to get netting at a garden centre no bother.

Birds or squirrels. Fences don't keep squirrels out, not much does. On my allotment, I watched a squirrel gnaw a squirrel-sized hole in the nets I'd put over my strawberry bed. It is worth netting though as they'll keep the birds off. Don't lay the nets right on top of the plants, raise them up a few inches on short lengths of cane pushed into the ground - put a small plant pot/yoghurt pot or similar over the end of the cane so the net doesn't slip down. And peg the net down tightly all round so that wildlife can't get under the net and get trapped/injured.

Sponsored Links
They're all rats: squirrels = tree rats, pigeons = flying rats, mice = mini-rats! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back