Whole House Frost Protection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find a way to get my central heating to come on when the outside temperature drops below 3C. I thought I could use the Frost Stat connection but now I understand that this is not what a frost stat is for. My only option at the moment is to leave the room stat on low (5C?) but it is possible that some parts of the house may be colder than where the room stat is. I have TRVs to prevent local hot spots but nothing to prevent local cold spots.

Cheers
Trevor

Sponsored Links
Surely an internal frost stat in the Hall would suffice??

Commercial installations have a Frost stat in a weather proof enclosure on a North facing wall set at 0'c, this stat brings on the heating circulation pump and initiates a 2nd stage frost stat connected to the heating return pipe and set to 20'c this stat fires the boiler. However this type of frost protection is usually to difficult to interface with a modern fully pumped domestic installation ;)

Use a frost stat with a pipe stat wired in series...........................or just leave the programmer on constant with stat set to 10c & all internal doors left open.

a frost thermostat is like any other thermostat a switch set to contact at a specific temperature.

Depending on the configuration you can have as many thermostats
in as many difference places at you like to trigger the boiler to come on.

Sponsored Links
Most if not all TRVs have a frost setting, usually denoted by an asterisk/snowflake looking sign between 0 and 1.
However, this will not allow you to have a maximum temperature setting for the room - unless you are willing to keep re-adjusting it.
View media item 36721

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back