Whooshing & gurgling from hot water tank/circ pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - first post, so hope you can help.

I have "whooshing and gurgling" noises constantly coming from my hot water tank and pump when heating and/or hw is on. Also can hear "tinkling" noises coming from radiators. I have recently had a problem with my boiler cutting out on over temp, but this now appears to have been rectified by fitting a new thermister. I have also had a new pump and boiler thermostat fitted recently - whooshing noises pre date these changes. I am now considering having the system power flushed at a cost of £465.00 - do you think this will help?
System details: Ideal classic LXff 250 boiler (13yrs old), 12 radiators, grundfoss pump set on 2, top up tank not hot at any time.
I have tried bleeding the radiators, the pump, and the pipe next to the hw tank - all to no avail. Help please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brighamy.

Sponsored Links
Poss cold feed blocked, try draining a bit of water out the system and see if the CH feed tank starts refilling. If not then the feed is blocked

It sounds like you have air in the system. This might be caused by F&E tank empty; or F&E pipe blocked; or dissolved air due to pumping over; or gas generated from corroding radiators.

Provided you have not actually got a blocked F&E pipe yet, you may be able to improve it with a simple DIY clean at a cost of only £30 plus a few hours work. If you can do simple plumbing you can add a Magnaclean as well which will trap circulating black sediment and prevent future blockages. If you can do simple plumbing you could also cut out a blockage (we can explain where it will be and how to do it)

Start off as pablo says.

Climb into the loft and see if the F&E tank has water in it; how deep; does it have a lot of mud in the bottom; does water flow out of the Vent pipe (curved over the F&E tank) when the pump is running. Do not stir up any mud in the F&E; rather, tie up the ball valve and bale out the mud and sponge it clean (you do not want to add to the existing sediment in the system)

I would also suggest bleeding the highest radiator in the house to see if water squirts out forcefully. Bleed all the others to see how much gas comes out, and what colour the water is.

Let us know what you find.

Do you know if the system has corrosion inhibitor in it, and when it was last added?

Do you know where the Drain Cock is, and how to use it?

Are you able to do simple plumbing?

If you can post some pics of your F&E tank and the pipes around your boiler, cylinder and pump, that may be useful for the next step.

Sorry to piggy back off this post I have the same problem. Started a few months ago just on hot water if I used it all and cylinder was filling up while trying to heat. So while running a bath would turn it off and all been well until today started doing it with ch on. I drained down the central heating last year and put an inhibitor in, the ch has had a new pump bout3 years ago that's all. I have two tanks in loft, hot water cylinder and a very old apollo thorn boiler. Was wondering if you managed to find out what problem was as cant really afford to call someone out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will you be able to afford to call someone out when it stops working completely with no hot water or heating?

When was it last serviced?

Andy

No coz I recently lost my job and a single mum with a mortgage and 2 kids otherwise would call someone now.
Had it serviced last year everthing was fine apart from the gas/water mixture was too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back