Why are radiators hot in middle of night when boiler is off?

Call WB explain exactly what the problem is, ask them how much to supply and install the correct controls and reinstate the warranty, I am no fan of WB in any way but in your situation they are probably the best you could hope for, they will do a great deal for you, as Independents we find it hard to compete with what they offer as after sales service, they pride themselves on wanting to keep you as a customer and we cant compete with them

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I don’t know what you mean by the following- it seems has both on/off and pulse width modulated mode. Can you please explain?
I know what pulse width modulation is, but not how it relates to a boiler, I would guess it's a method of regulating the boiler output to remove the hysteresis associated with off/on control. But as the user I would say
Call WB explain exactly what the problem is, ask them how much to supply and install the correct controls and reinstate the warranty, I am no fan of WB in any way but in your situation they are probably the best you could hope for, they will do a great deal for you, as Independents we find it hard to compete with what they offer as after sales service, they pride themselves on wanting to keep you as a customer and we cant compete with them
Is spot on, you want one person, company, or manufacturer in control, having two is always going to be a problem as one will always blame the other.

I then went down to the boiler which wasn’t even showing as being on, I.e the red light was not on which it normally is when the heating is on. Ended up having to manually shut the boiler off.

I'm no expert, however I'd want to be clearer on your symptoms before doing anything. Your statement above suggests the boiler is running but not showing any indication. As well as the previous advice about checking if its the diverter valve, you should also confirm 100% the function of the boiler with its current controls before you panic replace the existing ones to get around (what I frankly think is scandalous) terms in the WB warranty.

As I say, I'm an amateur, however your statement suggest to me the boiler is running when it shouldn't - maybe this is the symptom of faulty controls, maybe not?

Sponsored Links
Thought would post an update. Contacted Worcester Bosch who advised they would not be able to fit a new programmer/wireless thermostat even if It was their own brand.

So contacted a couple in installers and got a price for fitting the above.

In the meantime I also contacted Salus who have advised that the likely fault is that some other frequency from somewhere else is turning on the boiler.

So they have told me to pull out some of the pins at the back of the wireless thermostat and then re-sync with the boiler. Have now done this so let’s see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back