Why arent wood planes all rebate type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never needed a rebate plane until the weekend past so at least have an excuse for a new tool!

But why dont standard sized general purpose planes have a blade that goes right to the edge?

Whats the pros n cons?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can get planes like that. Smoothing plane size with the sides cut out and the appropriate blade. Don't really know why they're not all like that. I'd assume that the body of the plane is quite a bit weaker though for everyday use. Also the blade may be more prone to damage on the corners for general use.
I seem to remember my dad buying a replaceable blade Stanley plane some time in the late 60s early 70s and IIRC that was a rebate as well.

I had a look they still make them. I remember he was pleased with his.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...RTNUMBER=12-100&SDesc=Replaceable+Blade+Plane

"Old" cabinet makers will tell you that a smoothing plane blade, used to plane wide areas, should be ground with a slightly convex form so that the edges of the blade doesn't produce a set of tramlines on the wood.

If you want a rebate plane with open edges to permit cutting against a rebate edge then that is what you buy, but it's not a smoothing plane.

One of the pro's is when using the shooting board.

Sponsored Links
"Old" cabinet makers will tell you that a smoothing plane blade, used to plane wide areas, should be ground with a slightly convex form so that the edges of the blade doesn't produce a set of tramlines on the wood.

If you want a rebate plane with open edges to permit cutting against a rebate edge then that is what you buy, but it's not a smoothing plane.

I'd agree that it's better to get a rebate plane and keep it for that use. Apart from anything else the all iron type rebate plane has a forward blade position for cutting into corners, and scribing cutters, as well as depth stops and so on.
I'd always assumed that the smoothing plane sized rebate was more for joiners who wanted a bigger, wider, plane.

I'd always assumed that the smoothing plane sized rebate was more for joiners who wanted a bigger, wider, plane.
I have a "smoother-sized rebate plane" in my extended kit like this one:

they are called carriage rebate planes and are used to enlarge existing rebates such as you get in window or door frames. They are completely useless as smoothers because (as pointed out above) the blade has to be ground squared cornered, whereas a smoothing plane need to have the corners slightly cambered to reduce the tendency to leave tram lines all over the place. Whilst I have one it's not a tool I have much call for.

In general I carry a bull nose rebate plane:

because much of what I need a rebate plane for is touching-up and correcting mistakes - and the bull nose allows me work almost into corners which makes it really useful for site work. It's a bit like the bull nose position of your rebate filletster plane but has the advantage of fitting in a toolbelt pocket - on the other hand you'd never work a full length rebate on a double door set with one. To actually cut rebates on site, though, I use either a router and bit or a power planer - much faster and a lot less sweat!

I'd assume that the body of the plane is quite a bit weaker though for everyday use.

It's not unusual to come across secondhand rebate planes which have been welded together after an accidental drop on a hard floor; probably a difficult weld to make successfully, and maintain the straightness of the plane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back