Why did my glue and Sander dust filler dry almost black?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small old table - I 'rescued' and revamped it years ago and it has sentimental value - and I kind of like it - sort of shabby chic -

It was roughly nailed together, top side supports were made from orange boxes etc ...top and shelf is made from a really soft wood...

An accident involving children (one of which was a 44yr old) meant that it ended up in pieces with the top, shelf and one leg split. :cry:
I took it apart and glued the splits back together. I sanded down all the bits and stripped the varnish off the top. To reassemble it I pushed nails in the same holes but glued it with wood glue and/or no more nails...

This is second time the top has been off and the nails are now recessed in the top ...I had filled them with bought wood filler but I couldn't get a really good match...so this time I saved the sanding dust (the last bit from the top after stripping) and mixed it with evostick wood adhesive and used that...

It looked brilliant wet -but it has dried really really dark - almost black? It really looks bad..... :(
Does anyone know why this happened? I thought I only used the dust from the bare wood -but maybe it had varnish/nitromors in it? Or maybe it is just the type of wood? Or any other ideas?
Fortunately it has shrunk as well so there are now dips - so I can add more filler on top...and I have more sanding dust...any suggestions?
(I'm going to varnish it once with a coloured varnish and then give the top a couple of coats of heavy duty clear)

Sponsored Links
Just in case anyone else has the same problem...

I think I put too much glue in the mix..

I did it again by putting a drop of glue in the hole and then pushing as much sanding dust into it as I could leaving it slightly proud -it dried slightly darker than the wood but not black...totally acceptable and a much better match than the closest bought filler I could find...

I had to (carefully) trim the excess off with a blade before sanding....the filler was much harder than the wood around it - but then it is very soft wood....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back