Why is thread lock fluid hard to find in the UK?

Watching hardware related stuff on US channels, they're all over thread locker, typically loctite red/blue.
But in the UK I struggle to find it at all except on Amazon/eBay, generally my searches just come up with super glue.

Is it just not used much here for some reason? Or maybe called something else?
Google gave thousands of hits. Many locations.

Sponsored Links
I call it nut lock. Maybe that's another name

I can only remember having one threaded fastening coming undone (motorcycle exhaust, vibration and oily). How many have you had?

I call it nut lock. Maybe that's another name

I can only remember having one threaded fastening coming undone (motorcycle exhaust, vibration and oily). How many have you had?
The handle on my lawnmower fell off mid-mow the other day and I've lost the bolt entirely. That's what made me think "I'll pick some up" and the when I was in town getting a few bits I realised I couldn't see it.
I spot loose bolts and tighten them up every now and then, I guess if I had a bottle then I'd lock each loose bolt I find.

Sponsored Links
I think because people are unlikely to use it on anything except vehicles. Maybe the motor and pulley bolts in a washing machine. So motoring shops sell it.

I don't use it on the nuts and bolts in the garden, I wouldn't use it on bolting together a wooden structure. When do you use it?

I use it on machinery / engines etc where it is critical that the bolts or whatever don’t come undone and damage would be catastrophic.
Some brake caliper bolts come with the stuff ready applied and set.
To allow the compound to release its often necessary to heat the part up.
John :)

Last time I bought some thread lock it was £4.99 on ebay for a decent size 50ml bottle, brand was mega bond

ex-Parteners brother and family live in California; when his kids were at school they were taught both Metric and Imperial measurments which is what the UK should have done and should still do until all the old fogies are departed.
As an "old fogie" I can tell you that back in the 1960s I was taught BOTH systems, although exams (O-level and above) were all done in metric units, which are considerably easier to do calculations in. I sometimes have a laugh at the antics of the younger guys who can struggle to comprehend that some materials, such as plywood, come in Imperial sizes only which means that joist centres need to be laid out on 16in centres, NOT 400mm for example, unless you want to do an awful lot of trimming of sheets. Whilst my primary tape is metric only I always carry an 8 metre dual measure as well to handle such tasks more easily

Last edited by a moderator:
Went into butchers in OZ with the wife, she asked for a pound of mince, butcher looked at her strange, so explained that although we went metric in 1969 we like to make the change gradually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back