Why such a 'dead leg'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Been bugging me for some time now, but I seem to have quite a 'dead leg' in my hot water system, has been like it ever since we owned the house, boiler and cylinder are new (about 2 months) Hot water is toastie hot when it gets to the taps, but seems to take an age to get hot...........

The house is just a normal size 3 bed, with the hot run to the bathroom taps, unless it goes in and out of next door, would be a max of about 8 or 9 metres, not sure exactly where the go as not lifted all the floorboards, but the way I think they go would make it about that distance.

Any ideas as not really noticed this in any other house I have had! The only thing I can think is that the house originally had galvanised steel pipework, which is still in place, apart from all the radiators and the hot feed from the cylinder, is copper (22mm) then tapped into original steel about a foot away. I think the run to the bathroom and kitchen tap are then in steel!

Look forward to your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Thought that might be the reply, replacing with copper to the bathroom might not be to much hassle, but to the kitchen......thats a different story!

Would this pipework be causing the dead leg? If so, can you explain how?

take it out its a legionella trap ;)

That statement is cr@p

Measure with a bucket under the tap how much water you draw off before it gets hot.

Add approximate pipe size and post the result

Sponsored Links
I think that you may be confusing a long pipe run with a dead-leg

The long pipe run simply means that the hot water takes longer to get to the tap

A dead leg is an redundant length of pipework that leads nowhere

The long pipe run simply means that the hot water takes longer to get to the tap

Where I come from an Deadleg is any pipe that tees off and circuit, and stops without going back.

For example a pipe to a bath tap teed from an secondary circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back