Wi-fi Thermostatic control (RTH8580WF) swap for CM707

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a thermostat control unit Honeywell CM707, which does a job but would like to control the system whilst I'm out and about.

The Honeywell unit RTH8580WF seems to do the job and seems to have the same wiring system from the boiler and pumps as the CM707.

This unit however is only sold in the USA (as far as I can make out) and I'm trying to understand whether it would be as simple as changing over the units (connecting to the wifi network etc.) and it would work ok?

The house is a recent new build and the thermostatic control CM707 seems to be to modern standards cheap and cheerful.

I would really appreciate any comments from anyone who has experience of this or a similar operation.

Many thanks
Gavin

Sponsored Links
I can't help with your question but what puzzles me is why you would need to control the system at all when you're out and about?

Ok, I can understand if you're suddenly called away from home for days or weeks at a time and the system was churning out enough heat to cause global warming all by itself, but for a few hours, sorry, but I just can't see the benefit.

The house is a recent new build so insulated to a reasonable standard and you have controls in place, so I can't understand the need to complicate matters, which unfortunately, our obsession with modern technology seems to do, with little benefit as an end result.

Sorry to question your judgement, but I just don't get it.

The Honeywell unit RTH8580WF seems to do the job and seems to have the same wiring system from the boiler and pumps as the CM707.
Forget it. It's designed to work with 24Vac (twenty-four volt) systems. It will not work with 240Vac (two hundred and forty volt).

Sponsored Links
A couple of things I suppose:

1) Always irritating when we get home and the house is cold. Wouldn't it be better to be able to put the heating on before you leave somewhere, rather than get home turn the heating on for an hour just in time to go to bed when it has just got warm.
2) Save money rather than heat the house longer than required to make sure the above doesn't happen.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I might leave it until the technology becomes more established. To me it is a no brainer - I'm using an android phone almost constantly nowadays why not use it to control functionality in the house, to save money, carbon and provide the right temperatures at the right time.

I would imagine these systems will become default over the next few years.

Regards

I can't help with your question but what puzzles me is why you would need to control the system at all when you're out and about?

Ok, I can understand if you're suddenly called away from home for days or weeks at a time and the system was churning out enough heat to cause global warming all by itself, but for a few hours, sorry, but I just can't see the benefit.

The house is a recent new build so insulated to a reasonable standard and you have controls in place, so I can't understand the need to complicate matters, which unfortunately, our obsession with modern technology seems to do, with little benefit as an end result.

Sorry to question your judgement, but I just don't get it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back