Wiki entry on Junction Boxes

Sponsored Links
And the fact that I've made the statement doesn't mean that I would use those Ashley JB's, or reccommend them to anyone else, ....
Ah, that caveat changes things a bit, then. Does this mean that you don't feel that there should be a 'permanent' piece of advice on this forum which appears to be telling DIYers that it's OK for them to use these JBs in inaccessible places? That is, after all, what this thread was meant to be all about.

Kind Regards, John.

I wouldn't install those jb's in any situation. Those spring type connections are very neat and economic in a clean controlled factory environment. But in the real world can be subjected to serious misuse. For instance, what happens when you poke a wire in the wrong termination. Is there a designed in release method, types I've seen in the past do not release properly, so you have to wrench the wire out.
In that situation what damage has been caused to the mechanism? You can't inspect it so you don't know. Do you rip all the other wires out and throw the jb away? or do you just poke the wire in and hope its securely gripped.
I understand and sympathise with those resevations - although, as a point of information, the Ashley JBs do have a designed-in release method (just push down on a 'button'), which does seem to work fine - at least 'on the bench', with a recently terminated conductor.

So yes the wiki should be reviewed and it should not be recommending any specific manufacturers products.
Many thanks. I think this time that really does represent the first person who has expressed an opinion on the question I was implicitly asking when I started this thread. As I recently noted, I have realised that it's not actually a wiki - but rather a 'sticky' post from BAS - so only he can revise it. To be fair, BAS's words do not explicitly 'recommend' the Ashley product, but by majoring on the link to the Ashley "Junction Box Guide to the 17th Edition" (which clearly does promote the product), it could be seen as an endorsement, if not a full 'recommendation'.

Perhaps others will now express a view on the question I was really trying to ask, and to which really only you has so far responded!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I use Ashley/Hagar jbs for a lot of work (though not to everyones agreement). ;)
Thanks. Does that include installing them in inaccessible places?

Kind Regards, John.

Sorry I missed your request for a reply - busy building an extension at the moment.

I do not and would not use Ashley JB (even the maintenance free ones) in inaccessible places - If I cannot avoid this situation then I would use crimps.

I do use Ashley JB501 for downlighters and other lights because of their size you can push them up into the ceiling void.
But then I also use these for downlights (with transformers) http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html
Because it makes it much easier to do IR tests.

By the way, what is the definition of accessible?

Sorry I missed your request for a reply - busy building an extension at the moment.
I do not and would not use Ashley JB (even the maintenance free ones) in inaccessible places - If I cannot avoid this situation then I would use crimps.
Thanks for clarifying. Does that mean that you share my uncertainty as to whether it's wise for the 'sticky' (sorry for the confusion due to my having thought it was a wiki) to be arguably implying that it's OK for DIYers to use then in inaccessible locations?

I do use Ashley JB501 for downlighters and other lights because of their size you can push them up into the ceiling void.
I have no problem with that, but it's somewhat different.

By the way, what is the definition of accessible?
Obviously a matter for debate. In the final analysis, anything could be argued to be accessible if one were prepared gto be destructive enough - but I think we all have a reasonable common sense view of what it means (and doesn't mean). In particular, I don't think that under nailed-down floorboards (or worse) under a floor covering can reasonably be regarded as 'accessible'.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back