Will a non-reverse valve cause a pipe to burst when blocked and what's the likelihood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I had a blockage on the Easter holiday and the problem resurfaced a month later. I reached out to the group here on how to patch the hole in the communal pipe, and many are very helpful, so I hope the experts and experienced ones can help me again.

My plumber suggested installing a non-reverse valve but the builder, who I trust less** said it would result in pipe bursting if blockage happens. The pipe runs from my kitchen through my wardrobe, then under my bedroom carpeted floor (please see the diagram attached), so I sincerely do not wish such a scenario to occur. Is the bursting possible? I'd like to hear your thoughts about where to install the NRV to minimise such a scenario, and make it easy to maintain. I read in Google that a NRV needs constant maintenance.

After spending hours with the builder observing water tests, we concluded that when any of the washing machines from upstairs is running, a heavy influx of water would come into my floor (first floor), and travel all the way into my kitchen. When they use h their bathroom sink, it’s fine.
The water also carries debris into my pipe (ref. the star at the bottom of the diagram) as we found a small amount (half a pinky toe amount) of hair there. My pipe is connected to my kitchen sink, washing machine and dishwasher, builder said all of them have filters to prevent hair from entering the pipe. In this instance, with a slight blockage (the said hair) and backed-up water, it resulted in an overflow in my kitchen and damaged the ground floor's ceiling during a week that I was abroad.

My upstairs neighbours are seldom at their flat as this is their second home. But they are selling the flat so I think the overflow will continue more frequently when the new owners move in.

** I had to use the builder who charged more than 3x more than what the plumber quoted because my 2 neighbours insisted that they trusted him because he did the work for the building for the past 6 years before I moved in last year. When I saw the amount of work conducted and the charges imposed, I had reservation about the builder's opinion.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you

Best,
Patty
View attachment 343684

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 17.36.57.png

IMG_3197 2.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 17.41.38.png

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 17.41.29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 17.36.57.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 17.36.57.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
NRV will not make any difference, the water is not being pushed back up the pipe, the pipe is choked and you're dumping water on top of it.

Sponsored Links
As said, that pipework is woefully inadequate for what's going into it. Certainly doesn't comply with Building regs, and ideally needs to be 110mm outside the property, with all the branch pipes connected individually.

Sounds currently like it is partially blocked at some point and the water cannot get away quickly enough.

Thanks @danfre and @Hugh Jaleak.

What do you mean by "vented high up", please? Does it better control the pressure?

I've asked my neighbour to consider diverting their pipes and their response from their preferred builder said the blockage was from my flat and the diversion won't help. So essentially, they suggested me to perform maintenance work in my flat every 6 months. I protested stating that since the water from the waste pipes upstairs flows into my flat and creates a backup of water in the pipe behind my wardrobe.

If we had a diversion, I still think the blockage can be relieved. If there's truly a blockage on my floor, the water coming from upstairs is not going to help.

what is the pipe?

I guess its waste pipe but it looks a bit like 68mm gutter downpipe to me

I suppose it could be 75mm waste pipe?

maybe it was used to replace cast of the same size

weird

Pretty sure your waste pipes are 40mm, this is undersized.
A vent pipe is a pipe on the system that is taken high up and left open.
If no vent is installed it can create a vacuum on the system and you have trouble with the water not discharging properly. Maybe worth taking to the freeholder if it is a lease flat,
Where the pipe re-enters the building I guess it is because a small extension was added at that level and the original pipe was removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back