Will SMD strips overheat if installed like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Contemplating installing some 12V RGB SMD strip inside the front of a bullnose profile shelf. The shelf itself is some 4.5m long, and I'm looking to light about 4m of that as below (image shows cross section of front of shelf).

bedroomshelf.png

I don't intend ever to have the LEDs in use for a continuous period of more than a few hours, but there is always the possibility that they could be left on unintentionally.

Just wondering whether by operating the LEDs in an enclosed space such as this, surrounded by insulating material, I might need to add an additional heat spreader to prevent overheating, e.g. an aluminium strip behind the LEDs?

I haven't decided what type/size of SMD I want to use, and no doubt the power/efficiency of the LEDs as well as the PCB's heat dissipation capacity will have a bearing on this. Assuming it's not a ridiculous idea in the first place, does anyone have any suggestions for particularly good quality strips incorporating a decent amount of internal heat dissipation? There seems to be a huge amount of choice out there price wise, and I'm worried that the more expensive types which claim better quality are really just identical to the cheap stuff that's ten a penny on eBay.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back