Window Beading Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have old tilt and turn windows which I'm looking to replace some blown units and renew some of the gaskets on.
Just wanted to check that I'm not being a dumbass, external gasket seems to be attached to profile, I can move the internal bead slightly with a decorators knife, do I need to just be brave and give it a bit of welly or is there more to it?
Internal and external pics attached.
20240401_135842.jpg
20240401_135856.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oooooh 35 year old Anglian windows, it looks like both inner and outer gaskets are of the 'E' variety, clip in gasket so technically should stay in but if you use a wide scraper you could try fishingnout the inner gasket to loosen the bead up a little but the gasket will need to be clipped back on when putting the bead back in. Have you already measured the glass and had it made?

Have a quote but wanted to get beading off and double check sizes but didn't want to give it too much welly before checking if it was wedge gasketed in or something silly.
Beading will move slightly, maybe need to get something more solid in there to lever it off.

Presume the tooling goes in here and not behind the seal?
1000008880.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes but it needs to be a stiff scraper, you can start at the bottom of that bead, they pop easier at the ends. Being Anglian it's best to check the glass sizes because if you've only deducted 10mm from that bead size then the glass won't fit, Anglian have a secondary step of 5mm behind the bead so if you've only deducted 10mm to give a 5mm gap all round then you've lost that gap because of the 5mm step up, you need to deduct more like 20mm, just a heads up for you

Thanks Crank39, I'll have to go out and buy something a little more substantial to remove the beading with & yes I've only allowed 10mm so probably a good job it's not on order yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back