Window Externally Stained, Internally Painted - Feasible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have painted softwood window frames that require maintenance more often than I wish to provide.

I've tried many types of paint over the years but it never lasts. I have a stained patio door on the same facing wall which requires much less maintenance

In a bid to improve the longevity of timber treatment I want to chemically strip the existing external paint and stain the exterior woodwork. I do not, however, wish to make a mess internally where the painted frames are in fine condition.

This means having stain externally and paint internally, the two will meet somewhere on the frame.

Is this a feasible solution or not ?

Sponsored Links
yes.

Treat the glass as the cutoff point.

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was a sensible idea but my better half threw a barage of questions at me that I couldn't answer leaving me doubting the practicalities. Hopefully Ill get the paint stripper & rubber gloves out on the next available sunny day. Then when I've finished with the wife I'll start the windows. Only joking !! :D

Sponsored Links
What would be the method of providing a sharp "cut off" barrier to the paint stripper as i would imagine it would naturally bleed into the internal section. I assume masking tape etc. would just get consumed by the aggressive nature of the paint stripper (Paramose).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back