Window sealant

What about B&Q's own brand like no-nonsesne? I found them to be pretty good. Wickes' hybrid polymer is fine too. I used that to fix roofs and mould into gaskets for plumbing. The performance of that exceeds the carp provided by the fittings manufacturer.
No self respecting DIYer or tradesman will ever use own brand stuff.

Sponsored Links
That is not decorating caulk. I would hazard to guess that it is polysulfide sealant.

Polysulfide sealants were used to provide a rubber like seal.

Silicones such as the one recommended by @freddiemercurystwin will be fine, but the bricks need to be dry. A MS polymer will adhere to damp bricks. The latter tend to cost more and are slightly more difficult to smooth (they can be very sticky).

I would recommend that you buy a caulking gun with a no flow release. Once you stop pulling the trigger, the silicone/etc stops coming out of the nozzle. The Cox Easiflow guns are pretty good.

It using silicone, do not buy a high thrust ratio gun. The silicone will come out too quickly eg

If you do need to top up the expanding foam, consider buying a foam gun. You will be able to adjust the flow rate. Also buy gun cleaner, it will help you clear up any accidents. Do not allow the foam on to the face of the uPVC, it goes orange over time.

Sponsored Links
i'll be getting a few of these in. Would this be OK to use? Low modules, water resistant..

Are you sure that it is low modulus? The product description doesn't say much. The description makes it sound like an acrylic product. In my limited experience of using acrylic sealants, they become very rigid over time. That said, I haven't used them for years.

Even the "silicone" sealants are an acrylic/silicone hybrid, but it needs the silicone content to prevent oxidation and hardening.

Even the "silicone" sealants are an acrylic/silicone hybrid, but it needs the silicone content to prevent oxidation and hardening.
Which is why it shrinks and fails, although to a lesser extent than caulk.

I'll go out and get some tomorrow then try and get it done Friday as rain is buggering off for a day hopefully. Is Dow best or one of the above be ok??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back