Kitchen sealant disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy folks

The bodged sealant (at the back of our worktop where the sink is) has eroded and basically fallen apart, leaving a huge gap between the tiles and the worktop. Pics attached.

The space is too high and far too deep for me to use a regular sealant gun on it.

Any suggestions? Some sort of cavity filler or foam that hardens?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20180331_105439276.jpg
    IMG_20180331_105439276.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20180331_105435686.jpg
    IMG_20180331_105435686.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
looks like somthing has dropped for it to be stretching like that or that worktop is rotten

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Yes, I can now see it's definitely dropped at some point. I'm gonna boost it up with a bit of wood, then use some sink/bath sealant tape once I think it's not moving anymore.

I don't think it's rotten, just poorly constructed!

If it's in a normal cupboard unit just wind the legs down..

Or up possibly. But I know what you're trying to suggest.

Is the gap the same all the way along.

I put "up" originally then edited it to down as it seemed to make more sense!.

+1 for down. Legs further down = longer = worktop higher... but as we're all talking about the same thing.. maybe we can just agree on make the legs a bit longer by turning the adjusters in a suitable direction (notice how I haven't put clockwise or anti-clockwise... but I think it would be clockwise looking from the top of the leg to the foot!)

the feet are always in contact with the floor. They can't go down.

"Wind the legs out" would be an accurate description.

theres no upstand/splashback ,the mottled material is the work top. the tile is the splashback.
dont be messing with the unit legs, youl give yourself more problems.

that sit-on sink might be allowing water under the rim because its not properly siliconed down. or not even clipped down.diy'ers sometimes leave the clips loose or off because its awkward to get at them behind the bowl.
the sink cut out in the w/t has left a thin strip of work top material.water might have rotted it, as mentioned abov, or weakened it so it sags.when installing w/t's we always use a strengthening length of wood to support that weak strip.
maybe you can glue and screw and prop a length of reinforcement below the w/t?
if the w/t is rotted then sack it and renew.

clean out the existing sealant and sqeeze a thin bead of siicone on the wotk top and then propup.then another bead of sealing silicone to seal between the tile and the w/t.

laminate w/t's should be sealed on all cut-outs and raw edges. the long back edge can be sealed with a glue on edge strip. b&q do rolls of them

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back