Filling a gap between kitchen worktop and the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently had some new kitchen worktops fitted and I'm soon to start tiling the surrounding walls. However, behind one of the worktops, there is a gap of about 15mm at its widest between the edge of the worktop and the wall, which runs for a metre or so. I want to fill this so that when I come to tile, I have something to rest the tiles on and also does even up squirting a load of sealant behind the units.

I thought about using expanding foam filler for this, but the gap is behind my new gas hob and above my oven. As the foam is highly flammable, I think that might be a bad option!

Does anyone have any ideas what I could use instead of foam? Would standard gap filler (acrylic) be applicable, or would it be too big a gap to span?

Suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
Fire rated foam is available.

However, I would cut a fillet of wood to fill this gap, which would meet your need of something to rest the bottom row of tiles on. You could finish with a silicone bead, or use a worktop sealing strip.

Does this gap extend above the work top? if so, when you tile across this area it will probably look like a sow's ear. If this is to be the case and you are going to use tiles, a good option would be to get some one coat plaster and make the wall above the worktop straight and flat then tile back down to the worktop. Sorted. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back