Kitchen worktop install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

after spending almost half a day cutting a piece of worktop for a sink cut out (long story) i noticed a gap of about 6 mm between worktop and wall, probably due to uneven wall, or more than likely my cutting.

anyway whats the best way of filling that gap prior to sealing, its not the whole lenght of the worktop only about 1/3, the rest is pretty close to the wall.
i could use those self adhesive sealing strips about an inch wide, but worried it will look tacky and after a while start coming away
i have used upstands before, but regretted using the mdf one behind the sink as water got in and the laminate started to come away from mdf.

thinking of maybe using foam expanding filler, just to fil the gap level, then using nornal sealant to finish.

dont mind bodging it, wont be the first time!
i am not the greatest in DIY, more "Destroy it Yourself"

any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Personally I would mark the part of the wall where the worktop fits, remove the worktop and chase the plaster in 6mm, or as far as you can before you hit cabling, etc. Then refit the top which will miraculously appear to be flush to the wall and finish the plasterwork/seal accordingly. I would put a generous amount of sealant on the upper rear edge of the worktop so that it seals against the wall when pushed back into position. Far better and more permanent than applying sealant afterwards, and can be finished to a very fine joint.

hi thanks for reply

removing worktop not an option, had enough grief getting the sink in and water is back on, also the replacement worktop is deeper then previous so is against tiles,

thanks

Just a thought, would it be possible to lower the units until the worktop sits under the row of tiles then push them back into position, or you could fill the gap with decorators caulk and level then apply a mastic sealant.

Sponsored Links
hi never heard of this caulk
can you enlighten me

whatever i use needs to be fairly thick, as not to seep down the gap

cheers

Hi decorators caulk can be purchased from most DIY outlets, it is applied as you would mastic and comes in the same type of tube, you can use a spatula to smooth it down. When hunting for it you should find it with the mastics, as you are only using for a filler just get a cheep tube...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back