Kitchen Wood Worktop, various questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new Beech 'butchers-block' worktop made by my local woodworks. I'll be fitting it myself to the carcases of an Ash sink unit (made by me - go me! :p )...

1. any advice on the specific method/components used to attach the worktop to the unit.

2. what about sealant between (i) the unit and the worktop, (ii) the rear of the worktop and the wall and (iii) the belfast sink and the worktop (there will be a drip groove).

3. after installation, what can I use to best protect and extend the life of the worktop.

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
Fix with angle stretcher plates to allow for expansion & contraction of the worktop.

Don't worry about sealing between unit and WT, Clear silicon between wall and WT and the same under top where it meets the sink.

Oil both top & bottom surfaces of the top several times before fitting, oil regularly after that, don't leave wet items on the WT and don't put anything hot on them like saucepans.

Jason

Alternatively you could treat them just like a butchers block for the authentic look. Whack them several hundred times a day with a large cleaver, and scrub them viciously every evening with lots of water.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back