Kitchen worktop sealant issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm new on here and fairly new to DIY. I bought a new kitchen last year and, with a little bit of help from family, had a go at fitting it myself. Turned out great!

I did however get a carpenter to cut and fit the worktops for me, they are a lovely, thick solid oak and really 'make' the kitchen in my opinion. However, when he came to accommodating the Belfast sink, he cut the hole slightly too big, meaning that the three edges do not over-hang the sink, instead, they just 'step down' directly onto the top edge of the sink. There's no large noticeable gap, so I used a good silicone based sealant to seal the edges, but as a couple of months have passed, I noticed that the sealant is still bonded to the sink, but it coming away from the worktop - it's struggling to bond for long periods of time.

From memory, I treated the wood with Danish Oil (probably around 6 months ago), could this affect the sealant's bond? If so, do you have any suggestions as to how I can best seal the edges and stop this from becoming a rotting disaster?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Silicon doesn't stick to timber ,its better used as a gasket between two mechanically held surfaces,now in the event of the joiner cutting the worktop too big its more of a waterproofing situation than it just running off into the sink ,try looking at BB complete on U Tube it could be a solution and for the future, the wood around a belfast is very vunerable to wet conditiones having lots of end grain exposed and the finish is very vunerable to abrassion and chemicals which often breaks down the finish quite quickly I would say a complete strip back to bare wood and re finish with oil

Thanks for your reply!

I've just re-read my post and think I could have described it better.

I'll certainly look into BB Complete to ensure it's all sealed. The ends where the grain is exposed currently has had 3 or 4 coats of oil.

My main concern is the very small space between the worktop and the top edge of the sink. If the worktop was overhanging the sink, the water would drip into the sink, but because the water runs onto the top edge of the sink, then down into the bowl, small amounts of water can easily run in between the worktop - therefore down the back of the sink. That's why I've applied a small amount of silicone sealant to the corner where the sink and worktop meet.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back