laminate worktop - water from sink is lifting the laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new worktop and sink fitted about 18 months ago, we have just noticed that the laminate is starting to lift (like a a 1" square blister) at one end of the sink.

Any ideas how to cure this, it looks like the seal wasn't fitted properly under the edge of the sink.

I thought if I could remove the sink I could put some adhesive in (if there is a gap) then cramp it down. Seal all round cut edge of worktop and replace sink

Sponsored Links
If the worktop has delaminated - which it typically does when the chipboard gets wet... then you'll be lucky to rebond it sufficiently to get a satisfactory repair. Though in this instance, you've little to use so it's got to be worth a try.
The laminate facing is typically very brittle, so try not to flex it too much when lifting it or trying to "inject" adhesive under it for reclamping.

Either way - reseal the sink to worktop with a good quality silicone sealant to prevent further issues. Apply a bead all around and simply retighten the sink into position ...wipe clean any excess sealant before it skins over.

A saliva wetted finger is in my experience the best sealant smoothing tool around, just make sure to wipe finger off on a rag between frequent resalivating ;)

All sounds like good advice, well worth a try to repair it. I always seal the cut chipboard face with paint before fitting the sink unit. This should stop water getting in but then you also need to seal the sink in place to stop water getting in there in the first place. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
All sounds like good advice, well worth a try to repair it. I always seal the cut chipboard face with paint before fitting the sink unit. This should stop water getting in but then you also need to seal the sink in place to stop water getting in there in the first place. Good luck.

Checked it today, and one of the clips had come undone, so releaesing the seal a bit. The actual piece of laminate lifting was about 1" long and not even 1/2" from the edge of the sink.

I lifted the end of the sink, sealed it with silicon. Put the sink back ensuring all clips are secure.

Painted round the inside edge with waterproof PVA. Hopefully that should do it.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back